RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The speedometer stopped working on my 1991 RRC. The fuse for the indicators blew and are now replaced. Indicators are working fine now since I replaced the fuse but speedometer, odometer, and tripdometer are not working. I don't see any bouncing of the needle. It just doesn't move. I assume this is an electrical problem and something broke when the fuse went out. I just don't know where to start looking.

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
I would pull and inspect the speedo cables first. There are two.

·
Registered
78 Posts
IDK if your setup is the same as my '87 RRC, but ours is cable drive. One morning, the speedo quit. I popped the back off of the cluster and where the speedo cable enters the back of the speedo unit itself, there is an angle drive:
PRC4352P.jpg
Opposite where the cable screws on, there is a small metal disc, about the size of a dime, it had popped out. I carefully JB Welded in back in place. That was 3 years ago, still going strong.
I figure is was driven out of place by the blinding acceleration our rig has...:roll:

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,077 Posts
If it is a 91 the speedo is electronic and gets a signal from the road speed sensor which is part of the 14CUX system.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Is the road speed sensor part of the ABS system? If so, is the ABS light on? (or is there even ABS??)

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
If it is a 91 the speedo is electronic and gets a signal from the road speed sensor which is part of the 14CUX system.
I thought that was 1992 onwards. My 1991 had two speedo cables... and that wretched right angle adapter. My lower cable got chewed up because it had worked loose from the tranny. A couple week later my upper snapped at the cruise unit. 800+ miles from home.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
My manual says electronic from 1990 model year - maybe NA is different. I have a 1990 with electronic speedo. Anyway it's easy to check, if there is a cable at the back of the binnacle then it is mechanical, no cable it is electronic.

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
I wonder if mine had been bodged at some point... :think:

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Seems unlikely - it would be heap of work to retro fit a mechanical system - just another land rover mystery.

The easy answer to trying to fix it is to get a cheapie GPS unit to display speed. Also, assuming it is electronic, if the road speed transducer has failed it could lead to erratic idling.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If it is electronic, you should see something like this mounted on the bottom side of the frame on a tiny shelf with a cable going to the transfer case and 2 electrical wires.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
odbrain: i am also dealing with no tach/speedo and rough idle/bogged down idle issues. I looked underneath today and identified where the speed transducer is located and it looks like yours pictured above. i cannot seem to find the part on atlantic british. do you know of a reputable replacement available?

·
Registered
78 Posts
My '87 has the road speed transducer that odbrain posted a picture of, and my speedo is definitely mechanical. hence the cable in and out. The road speed transducer sends a signal to the ECU to tell it the vehicle is moving (or not moving, as the case may be). Regardless, I have a brand new extra I'd love to sell if you need one, but I do not think that is the cause of your inoperative speedo. And to my knowledge, a bad fuse will not stop a cable driven speedo from working, so no reason to look too far down that road.
Regarding the tach, mine gets that signal thru the alternator. A failed alternator/low ignition voltage could cause the idle/bog issues, but I would think you would also have to jump it to get it going. Easy enough to check with the rig running what your voltage is across the battery terminals to diagnose the charging of the alternator.
I'm inclined to think that the speedo issue is not related to the tach/idle/bog issue. Since it can't go too fast with the bog going on, maybe fix that first, speedo second...
FWIW

·
Registered
996 Posts
I would check the Speedo cable going from the transducer to the transmission
On my old 91 the cable had rusted and broke
Also they can strip out or come loose

·
Registered
996 Posts
The tack goes through the alternator

1 - 14 of 14 Posts