RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

So the issue I’m having is that when I drive it takes a while for the speedometer to start moving. For the most part it is sluggish, and is always about 20-30 kms/h less than the actual speed. The odometer seems to work fine, and the vehicle height automatically at what seems to be around the proper 40kms/h, even though the speedometer is registering between 0-10 kms.

Anyone have any ideas? I thought that if it were the speed sensor it would fail, not just make the speedometer slow.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
52 Posts
Need to know the year of your vehicle. Your speedometer is probably controlled by your ECM, an app like Torque Pro will display your ECM speed and GPS speed side by side and display the difference, and you see if it's your ECM or speedometer.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the replay and sorry for the late response.

I can’t seem to figure out how to add my vehicle to my sig.

It’s a 2005 HSE.

I have been trouble shooting all of the little issues since buying it a few weeks ago, including figuring out that my timing woes were an ever so slightly bent signal wheel on the passenger VANOS.

Anyways, there doesn’t seem to be any I’ll effects when driving beyond the fact that the speedometer is consistently off by 20kms. It won’t even budge off the 0 line until I’m already driving above 20kms.

I’ll look into that app

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
52 Posts
If you have a smart phone there are plenty of free apps that will display your GPS speed. Torque Pro is an Android app that also requires a OBDII device, I have had the best luck with the BAFX reader, Amazon has it for $23 Prime in the US.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just ordered an ELM327 WiFi obdii reader. On Monday I’ll be able to test the speed.

I suppose that if the obd reading is different from what the speedometer is displaying, then my problem is with the cluster, but should they match, then my problem is with the vehicle speed sensor in the tranny.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So just to update, the app I have won’t speak to any modules beyond the engine and one other that I forget. I could not get a reading of real time speed.

I did however use the onboard average speed box on the info screen to see if the car was registering the proper speeds.

It is, the average speed readings, and the odometer are both functioning properly, so that seems to show that the issue is the Speedometer itself. Could it be the gears? Are they known to fail?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just to end off this thread; I took the cluster out and reset the needle. Someone had already been in there and had messed up the speedometer needle. I lifted the needle, rotated it clockwise until I met resistance, and then turned it about an inch further. I drove around and made a few adjustments, but it works fine now.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
2006 Range Rover L322
40 Posts
Just to end off this thread; I took the cluster out and reset the needle. Someone had already been in there and had messed up the speedometer needle. I lifted the needle, rotated it clockwise until I met resistance, and then turned it about an inch further. I drove around and made a few adjustments, but it works fine now.

Thanks for the help!
Just wondering how you reset the needle. I have a 2006 and the speedometer is always shows 5 km/h faster than what I am actually driving.

·
Registered
2006 Range Rover L322
40 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts