RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done some research and looked at some posts but have had a little trouble finding a good answer. The speedometer works ok, except for the bouncing, it will get up to highway speed for a while then drop out to 10-15mph, while i'm still doing highway speed. Anyway took everything apart and took off the right angle drive. the square shaft coming out of the drive feels loose and wobbly. Is this normal, or should there be no play?

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
It should be smooth and firm. So should the speedo cable. Even if it is a bit worn I would check your cable first. The grease in the cable housing dries out, cable rubs too much when dry... etc. Eventually the cable will start to catch on the housing and chatter, bind and eventually break. It's a really nasty messy job but I find it easier to remove the cable from it's sheath, inspect and regrease or redistribute the old grease if it isn;t too dried out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think this is how it's supposed to feel then. The square drive piece has a lot of play, pulls out a bit and moves side to side. I can spin it freely and there is no noise. I haven't checked the cable yet, it got dark, is there a certain process for removing and reinserting it?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I messed around some more, got a flashlight, I was wondering, how far in should the square part on the cable go into the right angle gear drive? should all of the square part go in? If the female side of the right angle drive is wallowed out enough for the part on the cable to slip as it spins, could that be causing the needle to bounce, or is it probably due to the free play in the angle drive? Would anyone have any pictures of any of these parts and what they are supposed to look like in good working condition?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So pulled the speedo cable, gonna live it up. Here are both ends. Does that look in good shape? Also is the right angle drive. Where the cable enters the drive, ot looks like it could be wallowed out. And the drive piece that goes into the speedometer is loose, has play, let me know yalls thoughts please.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just an update. First of all I pulled the cable out and it was dry, so I lubed that up with grease. when putting the cable on the angle drive, it just didn't seem like it was far enough in the drive to catch good. so, I decided to try a cheap fix. Got some epoxy compound, the kind that you mix together, feels like clay, its used to seal TMCX electrical connections for hazardous locations, anyway, stuffed a bit of that in the hole where the cable enters the drive. this stuff hardens fairly fast and I figured the square end of the cable would make a mold and maybe hold better. Well....It worked! Well havnt done highway tests yet. At takeoff I still get a little bounce but driving 30-45 the needle was relatively steady, definitely not like it was. Today i'll try to do a highway test and see what the results are. Just Thought I'd post an update for any future newbies looking for info on this.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Did you pull the cable right out of the sheath & inspect it & regrease it ? . any little on the inner cable will cause fluctuations , it did this on another car i had , bought new cable in the end . The angle drive will wobble but once the cable outer is in the recess it s centred .

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did pull the cable all the way out and regrease it. I am still having some bouncing but its not nearly as bad. If it can just pass the next inspection I'll wait to buy a new angle drive. Unless I still have a drop out at highway speeds, then I may get a new one sooner.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts