RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked a question a while back about speed related to rpm's. Well with the GPS feature on my cell phone I have my answer. If I am driving with the transmission in drive and the rpm's read 3k then my speed is between 65-75 mph. I did get it up to 80 before I got scared. Maybe I should get my speedometer fixed so I can concentrate on the road :shock: :clap:

·
Registered
523 Posts
Obviously revs versus road speed is rather dependent on what gear the box is in, and whether the torque converter is spinning or is locked into top.

I recall the original post asking the question about revs and road speed, and there seemed to be some confusion around whether 'drive' is a gear (it isn't).

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,771 Posts
Tyre size comes into play for actual speed as well. When you get into oversized vs stock sized tyres then you have the fun of how far off your speedo is.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
its not a fair question,

you have to take into account the gradient of the road, if any, the condition of the engine, the tires, things like roof racks or bull bars or rear wheel carriers, even how much fuel is in the tank.

I rough answer might be ok but here in some parts you get a speeding fine for being 3 kilometers over the limit, at 100k's an hour 3 kilometers is bugger all, its less than 2 miles per hour.

Fix it - shouldn't be hard, the police will canary you if they find its busted, and they won't take it for an excuse if they pull you over for speeding ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts