RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I was out on a prairie highway with nobody in sight for as far as the eye could see and decided to open her up and see what she topped out at and was doing 113 MPH pretty quickly but that was it and then I got this horrible noise like a loud Brrraappp!!! from under the truck. Needless to say I almost s**t my pants when I heard it and had thought that I may have broke something so I slowed down and got it home without any problems and phoned someone at Atlantic British to see what they new about this noise and was told that was the speed governor taking over and shutting down systems in the truck and that it makes this god awful noise when it does. My question is, has anyone else experienced this sound at 113 MPH? and how do I shut it off? if I can, or do any of you think this is where my driveline vibration from my other post from today is coming from, it sure sounded like something broke and not any governor kicking in. I used to drive semi's just like Martin does and have driven many rigs with governors and they just stop going faster once you've hit the limit set buy the governor, I've never heard of one that sounds like you just blew a transmission before. The vibration problem I'm having started after this noise happened. :roll: Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, T. :think: :crybaby2:

·
Registered
276 Posts
There is a speed limiter, but it's not at 113 mph (181 km/h), I've been up to 190-195 km/h (118+ mp/h) and there was no "Brrraaappp"...

To me it sounds like something broke...

Maybe you lost a balancing weight on the propshaft?

Sigi

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, the weights are still there and the front driveshaft is only two days old and I just checked both shafts two days ago and everthing is good, but thanks for responding.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
2,064 Posts
Flex plate bolt?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
While I had it up on the ramps I pulled the inspection window off the bottom of the bell housing and with a flashlight I could see 3 of the 4 bolts on the flex plate, so unless I'm extremely unlucky the 4th bolt should be there also. I hope. `) :think: Thanks, T.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the vibrating happen to mine and i just put it off as an alignment problem. But then one day driving down the road i hear a thump and i lost some power. It turned out to be the U joint on the drive shaft. Easy fix, the O2 censer it broke when it popped off was the most explicative thing that happened. Dont know if that helps but hope you get it worked out

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,407 Posts
Doctor Leo said:
Ive done 125mph in the P38 and no governor. The Disco cuts out around 105mph. The P38 was a 99'
If one did 105mph (170km/h) in Australia, one's licence would be suspended immediately by the police, one would end up in court, lose one's licence(s) for a year or more, be fined a huge number of dollars, and possibly get gaol. :(

I shudder to think what 125mph (200km/h) would get one! :) :crybaby2:

Ron (who's last motorbike would top 200km/h ;) :naughty: )

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
p38arover said:
Doctor Leo said:
Ive done 125mph in the P38 and no governor. The Disco cuts out around 105mph. The P38 was a 99'
If one got caught doing 105mph (170km/h) in Australia, one's licence would be suspended immediately by the police, one would end up in court, lose one's licence(s) for a year or more, be fined a huge number of dollars, and possibly get gaol. :(

I shudder to think what 125mph (200km/h) would get one! :)
;) :lol:

·
Registered
361 Posts
Hey P38 I was under the impression that some parts of Oz had NO speed limit - eg rural parts of the NT and maybe others. As Jeremy Clarks put it ¨what´s the point of having a constable sitting out in the styx, getting eaten alive by the local insects etc, on the off chance that the only vehicle he sees all week is going too fast¨.

Are you able to confirm that there is NO speed limit in parts of OZ?

BigT is there any sort of unusual vibration since the beastie made this sound? I was thinking that maybe you have lost a prop shaft bolt. If there is a vibration does it seem to vary with vehicle speed or engine revs? I assume that there are no major pools of liquid under your beastie.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,407 Posts
Rowant said:
Hey P38 I was under the impression that some parts of Oz had NO speed limit - eg rural parts of the NT and maybe others. As Jeremy Clarks put it ¨what´s the point of having a constable sitting out in the styx, getting eaten alive by the local insects etc, on the off chance that the only vehicle he sees all week is going too fast¨.

Are you able to confirm that there is NO speed limit in parts of OZ.
That was the case until last year. The Northern Territory did have no speed limit out of town. Now it is 130km/h since the do-gooders made a stink about the number of deaths on the roads. See http://blogs.drive.com.au/2007/07/nt_ro ... speed.html

A lot of deaths up there are alcohol related - from an NT govt report: "Alcohol has been involved in two out of every three fatal road accidents (62 per cent) in the NT. " A reduced speed limit won't help there.

Re traffic density, it is quite light. From a thread I wrote a couple of years ago:

p38arover said:
<snip>I drove 1400+ km to Adelaide and only saw one police car (in Adelaide). Then we drove another 1500 km from Katherine to Derby and didn't see any (which is reasonable as it is a fairly remote part of Australia and we only saw a another car every 30 minutes or so :D )

The chances of being pulled up for speeding are so remote that's not worth worrying about.
<snip>

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,783 Posts
The topic of speed limiter has been rolling around in the back of my pea brain for a couple days. Now I have done 100MPH +/- 5 in my rig and had no issues with vibration etc. Now I do have to add that I had new rims and new tyres at the time so everything was nicely balanced etc. My speed setting in the BeCM was set at 100 at the time. I experienced no cut out or noise. Thinking things through I would assume that the speed limiter in our rigs would be 100% electronic and simply limit the throttle position sensor readout to halt furher acceleration... or some such idea. I can not imagine any noise or vibration possible by a limiter.

Just thinking out loud and trying to understand how our rigs top out our speed.

Ideas? :geek:

·
Registered
640 Posts
rrtoadhall said:
Just thinking out loud and trying to understand how our rigs top out our speed.

Ideas?
They have a Rev Limiter that cuts the fuel when they reach 5500rpm which I guess is controled via the Engine Management ECU.
I imagine the actual top speed would then be dependent on Wheel/Tyre size, Diff Ratios Etc.

Cheers

1 - 14 of 14 Posts