Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read the book, and understand what it is saying, I'm just looking for some best practices when using the special programs.

I will be taking the Sport out for the first time later this week, if anyone has any pointers I would appreciate it.

IE: The Mud Ruts program, is that a good all purpose program for trail riding? Or would you just stay in normal mode. I know that Mud Ruts changes some of the touchiness of the accelerator which is nice, but it also "recommends" that you go into 4Low with HDC enabled. Is it acceptable to select Mud Ruts and leave in 4High?

What about changing Programs throughout the trail? I'd imagine the answer is Yes, change depending on terrain.

Thanks all!

·
Premium Member
1,663 Posts
Rock Crawl unless you're in one of the specific program areas like sand or mud. Unless you are constantly going up/down take off HDC as if you're just moseying along and let off the gas it engages. I actually leave it off a lot even on up/down terrain.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,015 Posts
I don't want to fill your head with yet more theory, but this document I posted a while back makes an interesting "geeky" read and gives a lot more detailed information on Terrain Response than our manual does, including a thorough examination of the various special programs and when they should and shouldn't be used (in general though, you will find out that you cannot hurt anything by switching programs on the fly as you please, whether in high or low gears, on-road or off, with the exception of programs such as Rock Crawl, which doesn't engage unless you first shift to 4low.)

terrain-response-paper-official

For 80% of the off-roading I do, nothing extraordinarily difficult mind you, I don't bother switching to anything specific, the car is plenty capable off road without fiddling with that knob. Normal mode works just fine, even when low gears become a necessity as the going gets tougher, steeper and slower, on most trails. Over specific challenging terrains - such as slippery mud, large rock gardens, deep sand, wet grass, etc.- switching to the matching TR program certainly helps as the car responds in a more predictable manner to your throttle and braking inputs, maximizing traction and making certain modules (e.g. the differentials) more sensitive to the expected conditions. You will also find out that it often helps to disengage DSC and (if it engages automatically, as it does with certain programs) HDC. Practice, possibly with other more experienced fellow owners or as part of a local Land Rover club if you can join one, will help you figuring out the system's capabilities and limitations 100 times faster than reading our advice on this forum... And it's a lot more fun. :thumb:

·
Registered
221 Posts
Using mud and ruts in 'high' is fine. It's the setting i use most - the rear diff lock is programmed to activate quicker in some modes and also 'partially locked' (don't know how..) at different levels depending on TR mode.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just got back from NM trip and it was amazing.

Just to close the loop on this. The article mentioned is awesome, gives great background to the programing.

Also, as stated, the Mud Ruts program rocks the house! I used this program 90% of the time while on the trails. I like the fact that it adjusts the throttle to prevent unnecessary quick starts. Gives a nice smooth acceleration and I could not get the tires to spin on any type of terrain.

Rock Crawl, does exactly that. You hardly even need to use the accelerator, it just creeps right along.

Thanks again for all the help... Pictures coming soon.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I don't want to fill your head with yet more theory, but this document I posted a while back makes an interesting "geeky" read and gives a lot more detailed information on Terrain Response than our manual does, including a thorough examination of the various special programs and when they should and shouldn't be used (in general though, you will find out that you cannot hurt anything by switching programs on the fly as you please, whether in high or low gears, on-road or off, with the exception of programs such as Rock Crawl, which doesn't engage unless you first shift to 4low.)
http://rangerovers.net/forum/download/file.php?id=3256
terrain-response-paper-official

For 80% of the off-roading I do, nothing extraordinarily difficult mind you, I don't bother switching to anything specific, the car is plenty capable off road without fiddling with that knob. Normal mode works just fine, even when low gears become a necessity as the going gets tougher, steeper and slower, on most trails. Over specific challenging terrains - such as slippery mud, large rock gardens, deep sand, wet grass, etc.- switching to the matching TR program certainly helps as the car responds in a more predictable manner to your throttle and braking inputs, maximizing traction and making certain modules (e.g. the differentials) more sensitive to the expected conditions. You will also find out that it often helps to disengage DSC and (if it engages automatically, as it does with certain programs) HDC. Practice, possibly with other more experienced fellow owners or as part of a local Land Rover club if you can join one, will help you figuring out the system's capabilities and limitations 100 times faster than reading our advice on this forum... And it's a lot more fun. :thumb:
umbertob, can you repost this file? Seems the forum upgrade killed the link.
Thanks.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2013 RS, 2017 FFRR
4,518 Posts

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,015 Posts
In fairness to Ford, the whole Terrain Response concept was developed, trademarked and introduced on all Land Rover vehicles during their ownership of the brand. Without Ford's money there probably wouldn't be a Terrain Response system. Or a Range Rover Sport. Or maybe even a Land Rover! :lol: We should probably let this one slide, Weatherman. ;-)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts