RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, anyone installed speakers on rear shelf to improve sound quality.
Question is where to tap into harness for feed to amp.

Going to install a pair of JBL comp 6x9 along with a nice Kenwood amp, is signal going to sub box high or low frequency as tapping off there would be ideal

Still have Original head unit and works well (1996 4,6 HSE)

·
Registered
468 Posts
6x9s on the rear shelf will not improve sound quality, if anything they will just confuse the staging in the front of the car. They can be used as bass reinforcement in the rear but you'd be better off using a proper subwoofer instead.

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
In addition you would be mounting into very thin plastic with very little clearance under the plastic. Our systems were tuned to the rig. If there is something wrong with your system I would fix it first. If you just want more thump upgrade your factory sub.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you all saw my van you would appreciate why I want to improve the rear sound, the oem system is bland and boring.
While at the time when it came out it was nothing amazing but ideal for most, you see I dpnt watch TV at all and music is one of my passions.

So I gather so far nobodys installed rear speakers on parcel shelf which is strong enough, need info on wiring at sub box

·
Registered
401 Posts

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
viperover said:
... installed rear speakers on parcel shelf...
Apologies, when you said rear shelf I pictured the plastic bits on each side of the parcel. Putting speakers in the parcel would limit cargo room and the ease of removing the parcel shelf for large items. :?

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
85 Posts
I thought the same as Toad at first, too.

Either way, that's a terrible idea. Sorry, but adding more speakers sounds like you've been reading too much Import Tuner or something. If you want good sound, rework the system. What was the last time you went to a concert and had the band playing behind you? The main soundstage in your system needs to be up front. Start with replacing your speakers with good quality ones up front. Turn the fade more towards the front, I usually leave it about 2/3 or 3/4 of the way to the front on my cars. Replace the subwoofer with a proper one. If you truly want good sound, you're going to need to pull the stock amp, and get a good 4 channel with external passive crossovers, as well as a monoblock amp for the sub.

Adding 6x9s on the parcel shelf is the best way to make a bad system sound worse.

·
Registered
468 Posts
viperover said:
If you all saw my van you would appreciate why I want to improve the rear sound, the oem system is bland and boring.
While at the time when it came out it was nothing amazing but ideal for most, you see I dpnt watch TV at all and music is one of my passions.
If you just want extra noise then throw the 6x9s in the back; sorry can't help with HP or LP signal but I'm thinking it's mono so you might want to head to the B pillars and grab signal from there.

If music is a passion then you want to have a look at the headunit and the fronts. You could always get creative and throw the 6x9 in custom pods in the front doors (although you'd want component 6x9 for that job).

·
Registered
483 Posts
I'm no expert but when I look at how loosely fitted the rear parcel shelf is I would have thought that speakers in it would be somewhat rattly?

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,973 Posts
As already mentioned 6x9's are not going to give you better "quality" unless your measure of "quality" is just how loud it goes. At any rate the system is designed to limit how loud it goes to avoid speaker distortion.

If you have the Harman Kardon setup rather than the poverty spec this system is great; 3 speakers per front door (tweeter, mid and sub) and two in the rear door plus a twin sub in the boot.

One thing I found with mine that made a massive different to quality was the CD, if it was one I burnt myself from a 128k or 192k MP3 the sound wasn't all that great. However burnt from a 320k or even better the original CD and the sound was fantastic. The MKIII sound is great, but sometimes I think the P38 had the edge...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts