RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a while now, I have had sporadic blips of static from the front speakers. It would happen for a day or two then it would go away for a few weeks. Now it is every time I drive, every few minutes. It happens regardless of audio source, radio on or off, engine on or off. It seems like a bad ground or failing electrical component/wiring. Last night, I tried to pinpoint what is causing the issue. I removed the driver seat to get to the amp since that was the logical potential culprit. Perhaps moisture in that area caused some deterioration given its location. The area was clean of spills or water damage. My theory was that if I remove the audio input source from the amp and the noise persists then the issue is originating in the amp or downstream of the amp. I ran through these tests and noticed that the static stopped when I removed the MOST optic link from the amp or killed power to the amp. This leads me to believe it is the MOST cable or something else in the MOST loop (head unit, bluetooth module, GPS, module, etc.).

I also have been experiencing random restarts of the infotainment system. Not the whole system, but the GPS, SAT radio, and Bluetooth will all drop at once and then start back up acquiring signal. I am not sure these are related since it doesn't correspond with the static but would a assume a failure in the MOST could potentially cause everything in the MOST loop to restart. At least that in my theory, since I have no clue how all of these are interconnected other than the MOST link.

Also, I live in Houston were the hot humid weather maybe playing a role.

I discovered that the Velar has a big issue with this but I haven't seen any mentions of the RRS. The Velar issue is supposed to be related to the TV tuner and radio tower interference, which is supposedly fixed by a software update but many say it doesn't fix it.

I know that I grasping at straws here, but I want to get a thread started in case others have the same issue or if anyone has any pointers for me. I am out of warranty so I am trying my best to minimize my expenses at the dealer.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
208 Posts
I had the same issue with my 2016 RRS. The culprit was stickers on the door speakers. Apparently there are stick on labels. With time the glue loses potency and they fall off. Then they cause crackling.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is the most random thing I have ever heard...:lol: I really hope you are right! That would be awesome if that is the case. I will check it out but it is definitely not the sound of paper fluttering around when the speaker moves. If the sticker was some kind of electrical shielding that is then absent, then it very well may the culprit.

I had the same issue with my 2016 RRS. The culprit was stickers on the door speakers. Apparently there are stick on labels. With time the glue loses potency and they fall off. Then they cause crackling.

·
Registered
2 Posts
For a while now, I have had sporadic blips of static from the front speakers. It would happen for a day or two then it would go away for a few weeks. Now it is every time I drive, every few minutes. It happens regardless of audio source, radio on or off, engine on or off. It seems like a bad ground or failing electrical component/wiring. Last night, I tried to pinpoint what is causing the issue. I removed the driver seat to get to the amp since that was the logical potential culprit. Perhaps moisture in that area caused some deterioration given its location. The area was clean of spills or water damage. My theory was that if I remove the audio input source from the amp and the noise persists then the issue is originating in the amp or downstream of the amp. I ran through these tests and noticed that the static stopped when I removed the MOST optic link from the amp or killed power to the amp. This leads me to believe it is the MOST cable or something else in the MOST loop (head unit, bluetooth module, GPS, module, etc.).

I also have been experiencing random restarts of the infotainment system. Not the whole system, but the GPS, SAT radio, and Bluetooth will all drop at once and then start back up acquiring signal. I am not sure these are related since it doesn't correspond with the static but would a assume a failure in the MOST could potentially cause everything in the MOST loop to restart. At least that in my theory, since I have no clue how all of these are interconnected other than the MOST link.

I discovered that the Velar has a big issue with this but I haven't seen any mentions of the RRS. The Velar issue is supposed to be related to the TV tuner and radio tower interference, which is supposedly fixed by a software update but many say it doesn't fix it.

I know that I grasping at straws here, but I want to get a thread started in case others have the same issue or if anyone has any pointers for me. I am out of warranty so I am trying my best to minimize my expenses at the dealer.
Have you resolved the issue yet?
We have a 2016 Landmark Discovery with exactly the same issue. Fortunately still covered by extended warranty but numerous trips back to the service department have so far failed to resolve the issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had exactly the same issue with my Landmark Discovery it has been back to the dealers four times, but on another forum I read that the issue could be related to the amp. I gave this information on to the dealer this week and low and behold I've had a telephone call today to say that they have diagnosed the problem to the music amp and my vehicle will be repaired and ready to collect tomorrow - happy days.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts