RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
here is a quick one its time for new spark plug wires and plugs does anybody know where to order good quality wires or which are the factory recommended ones because pretty much all the wires I've gotten from car part shops end up being toast in less than a year. Moreover, what plugs do you recommend I currently run recommended NGKs by the owners booklet but since the car runs on LPG I was thinking of upgrading to iridium ones.
cheers,
Thanos.

·
Super Moderator
2,079 Posts
I've had a set of these https://www.island-4x4.co.uk/ignition-lead-4046-9498-eurospares-hls102-hls102g-p-26970.html on mine for the last 60,000 miles with no problem. Even if they do fail after a short time, at that price, who cares? I also run LPG, use NGK BPR6ES plugs and change them every 10,000 miles. You can fit NGK BPR6iEX, the Iridium equivalent, and leave them in for up to 50,000 miles if you want. But, I pay £2 each for the standard ones compared with £9 each for the Iridium so the only thing you are saving is the effort of changing them. However, I'd rather change them regularly than risk having them seize into the head. I coat the threads in Graphite grease when I put plugs in too, I've had threads stripped in alloy heads before and I'd rather not have it happen again, taking a head off just to change a spark plug is getting a bit silly.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Not sure if all versions are the same, in my case (Gems 4.0) I went for the Bosch Set (Part # 0 986 356 819) bought from www.autodoc.co.uk . I paid just over 31GBP.

I haven't fitted them yet but they seem well made. I had some unbranded ones purchased few years ago from either island4x4 or Rimmerbros and although they lasted few years, they became oxhidized and broke at the connection to the sparkplug , therefore needed to be replaced.

I am refitting all cables with a smear of electric contact grease, that might help in avoiding future oxidation and makes it much easier to unplug in case you need to remove a spark plug

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks a lot for your replies, I think ill go for the bosch ones since from what I read and was told of mine land rover expert are the most long lasting ones would you reckon that upgrading to an 8mm or 10mm 'performance' leads would be of any benefit though ?

·
Administrator
27,793 Posts
Move up to 8mm if you can find them. One of my P38's was the test guinea pig for high out put coils from Sultan of Spark and solid core wire sizing. They got the boots wrong on the first run of wires I suggested they keep the wires stock black but red is their signature color. They shipped out a second set of wires with some odd plugs that were supposed to be pregapped larger... they weren't even close to being consistant. All in all the test package was terrific. my MPG went up a bit across the average. There was bit more pep with the 8mm solid core wires. I've got about 60K on the set up but did go back to back to LR proper Champions

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
485 Posts
Get a set of Magnecor leads, they do 8mm & 8.5mm for the P38. They will do 10mm as a custom build but a) 10mm is probably OTT; and b) I hate to think what the cost might be. I have a set of 8mm fitted and have never looked back (they are blue though).

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
455 Posts
I am very conservative with spark plugs. Nothing but Champions for me, RN11 if you are on LPG otherwise the 12s.
TH is right about Magnacore, my Disco V8 runs with Allmakes 7mm silicone ones, made in the UK and very affordable

Enviado desde mi SM-A720F mediante Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts