RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I run 285/35/22's for on road driving and 285/60/18's for off road.

I'm interested to know what size spare tyre you guys are carrying?

Do you have two spares, one for each?

The spare i have at the moment is the standard 255/55/18.

Will using this size spare have any affect on the transmission with either tyre size?

Thanks in adavance. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
1,153 Posts
i run 285/60-18 full time so that's the spare that i have stuffed underneath. i did get the full sized spare on the back rim that's just eating up space in my storage shed.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
Yeah, I wouldn't run that 255/55/18 spare wheel with the big 18" off-road setup (although it should be OK as a temp spare for your "street" 22s, at nearly the same overall dimensions.) Too much of a difference in total circumference between that wheel and the larger 285/60/18s, and unless you were using it only for a very, very short limp down the street to a tire shop your transmission would almost certainly start acting up as it receives mismatched speed info from the wheels. Since the most likely place where you might get a flat with those tires is, well, off-road and away from any nearby tire service, in your place I'd shop around right away for a matching 18" tire/rim to go with your Coopers. I have the same setup as Phil's.

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
Yep, go with another 285/60/18. I don't run my coopers year round, so I end up switcing out my spares when I switch the others.

To fit the 285/60/18, you'll need to take out the heat shield (4 bolts) and deflate the tire all the way. Then you'll need a 12V compressor to air it up on the trail if you need it. :thumb:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts