RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m budgeting for a lift and tires on my P38 and I am wondering if I’m going to need a spare tire carrier for the hitch.

My question is what is the largest tire anyone has fit into the spare well inflated or deflated? The size I’m considering is 265/75R16, I don’t mind removing all of the foam if needed.

Thank you for the input.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
2 Posts
Dr,
255 60 Toyo winter tire inflated will not fit, foam or not, without some heavy persuasion of metal. Don’t know about uninflated though.

·
Super Moderator
2,332 Posts
There was a discussion on this a while back, anything larger than standard will not fit.

·
Banned
42 Posts
Nope, have the exact same tire size & it isn't even close. Biggest I've seen fit are 245/45 with pretty aggressive tread on 18"s. Those are about 28.5" tall. The 265/75 on 16"s are a bit over 31". That being said, there is a LOT of room underneath, so if you don't mind a LOT of fabrication, and if you aren't running dual exhaust, you could have a larger tire well fabricated. I've considered it vs going with the aftermarket bumper option with swing-out. If I end up converting mine into an Overland rig, I might go both routes...as having a lot of cargo room for about $500-600 in fab expense isn't a bad spend IMHO.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have 255/70s at 29 inches overall. I am wondering if I deflate the tyre will I be able to fit in a spare. I am about to head off on a big trip so will need to either do that or tie an extra spare to my camper trailer!

Anyone tried deflated fitting ?

Cheers

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just put 255/70 R16's on my rig and can confirm it will not fit in the well either inflated or deflated. Fortunately I have a spare tire mount on my roof rack, but that makes my rig too tall to fit in the garage. /:( Now just to convince the boss I need a swing out bumper mount.:mrgreen:

·
Banned
42 Posts
Deflating a car/truck tire isn't like deflating a bicycle tire. You may get a bit of space, but the sidewalls on 99% of car/truck tires aren't exactly malleable except under substantial load.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts