RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After seeing another forum member mounting the spare on his hood I decided to be a bit of a copy cat. :lol: And I added a cargo net to it so I can store stuff in the tire on long trips. Heres a few pics. I used the mount plate out of the rear and used a through bolt with a 4x4 mounting plate under the hood. I thought it adds alittle charater to the Classic. A toss back to the Series.

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
Early "Classics" had the tyre on the hood from factory. Although the added weight makes opening the hood more of a workout it is not all that bad. Having driven a couple of first gens visability really is not the big of an issue unless you are trying to read the tags of the guy at the stop light. :wink:

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
rrtoadhall said:
Early "Classics" had the tyre on the hood from factory.
You mean Series and 90/ 110´s.
TBH I don´t like the look, and having driven a exmil 110 with a 7.50x16 spare on the
bonnet, I didn´t think much of it untill I drove it without. It didn´t go back on the bonnet
but on the rear.

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
q-rover said:
rrtoadhall said:
Early "Classics" had the tyre on the hood from factory.
You mean Series and 90/ 110´s.
Errr, no. At least the two early Classics i have driven had the tyre on the hood as well and a third I have seen at meets. I have never really given it any thought. I guess maybe they all moved it there. :think:

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Some aftermarket converters may have done it in the 70's. Or the owners did it themselves.
But no RR has left Solihull with the spare tyre attached to the bonnet.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
Not for me for all the reasons listed above, not to mention I think it lucks plain fugly.
Sorry!

Martin

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ha well I thought it looked cool. Idk, my truck is a total wreck so I might as well do what I want to it. **** pregnant wife gets the new ride (06' RRS/05' LR3) want stop complining about the lack of a/c. :lol: So Im going to do what I please to my Classic til its resale tops $10,000 then I will restore it. `)

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
I love learning new stuff! :thumb: I am definately going to have to pay closer attention on runs and at meets as I don't think I have ever seen a 2 door without the tyre on hood. Then again I hang around with off road/camping people instead of mall maulers so maybe they have all done this for extra room.

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wtf is that on your hood? A little aligator or a huge lizard?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts