RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The truck that I recently bought (99 4.0 SE) only came w/ one key. I tried Home Depot and they could not cut the key. Do I have to suck it up and go to the dealership or has anyone had luck w/ local locksmiths? I tried one and came up empty. I have looked on the net and have not found even the key blanks to buy....

·
Registered
72 Posts
A decent locksmith won't have any trouble making the mechanical key. I was making these for MB when I was in the business in the early 90s. They're a lot more common now.

The remote's a different story. You can find them online ($$$).

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jgreene said:
A decent locksmith won't have any trouble making the mechanical key. I was making these for MB when I was in the business in the early 90s. They're a lot more common now.

The remote's a different story. You can find them online ($$$).
Ya, I have not been using the remote function as the top of the remote is missing the buttons. I see that you can order referbish kits but I am not in a hurry to do so. Quite honestly, I am a bit concerned w/ all the people that seem to get locked out of their p38's... but I would like to have another key around in case I lose the one that I have :pray:

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm pretty paranoid of a lockout as well. Keep your battery in good shape.

There's only one mechanical lock, so if that breaks you are hosed. Get the remote working and use the mechanical as a backup. The rubber button cover is about $3.

And get the spare key! :)

BMW moto?

Joel.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jgreene said:
I'm pretty paranoid of a lockout as well. Keep your battery in good shape.

There's only one mechanical lock, so if that breaks you are hosed. Get the remote working and use the mechanical as a backup. The rubber button cover is about $3.

And get the spare key! :)

BMW moto?

Joel.
Pre-children, my life involved A TON of motocycling, specifically w/ BMW airheads! Awesome bikes but not worth the risk in my present world given where I live - land of the Blue Hairs..... Someday my wife and I will return to the motorcycles but for now, other hobbies. For the record, during the week I presently drive a 2006 330I.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I too only have one key, thankfully the remote works. I have been meaning to get a spare and did not know you can just take it to a lock smith, I'm doing it SOON lol. I currently us the mechanical door lock to unlock the vehicle because the front lock motors do not work. The rear ones do! WTH! :D.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,427 Posts
bmwmotogreg said:
Ya, I have not been using the remote function as the top of the remote is missing the buttons. I see that you can order referbish kits but I am not in a hurry to do so.
Don't buy the kit off eBay. Buy it from a dealer. The buttons only cost about $4. Part No. YWC000300

See http://www.rangerovers.net/repairdetail ... uttonsworn

1 - 7 of 7 Posts