Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have seen a thread a while back on this, but hard to find it. So last 2 weeks twice my power steering and forward alert have gone out twice rendering the car basically undriveable without power steering. I just had service so I called that shop back here in North Dallas and he instantly said rodents aite the wire. I never liked that dealer so I called the one I normally service it with and purchased the car from and had it towed there - they find that wire has been chewed and is common becuase its soy based and its on my dime. Not even a week goes by and this is a car that maybe sits for 6-8 hours max and boom happens again - same issue. So I hred a guy to look around my house and he really found no pests - I do have some squirrels, but thats about it. He is a pest expert - that was $400 and we put some traps which have yielded nothing. So afraid now to bring car home and this happens yet again - I begged the dealer to wrap it in electrical tape, plumbers tape or duct tape - they said they added wrapping to it. I asked for the wire as well.

So I opened a case with Land Rover as I am not $700 deep out of pocket plus $400 for the pest guy (so far). If its squirrels eating it I am screwed but we are going to put some repellent on the car as best we can.

If LR knows this is common why use wires like this? I want them to fix it permanetely with a wire that won't attract a rodent. There are no nests, no poo, no real sign aside from they find the wire tasty. Its not cold out at all.

I own 3 LR/RRs and just got a new Defender 110X. I will never buy another product if the most capable off road brand can't stop a rodent from eating a random wire. If it happens a third time I will invoke lemon law as a flaw.

I will keep you posted on my case - will be curious if anyone else has filed a case on this.

Thanks for listening.

·
Registered
2019 RRS Dynamic Supercharged
15 Posts
So I have seen a thread a while back on this, but hard to find it. So last 2 weeks twice my power steering and forward alert have gone out twice rendering the car basically undriveable without power steering. I just had service so I called that shop back here in North Dallas and he instantly said rodents aite the wire. I never liked that dealer so I called the one I normally service it with and purchased the car from and had it towed there - they find that wire has been chewed and is common becuase its soy based and its on my dime. Not even a week goes by and this is a car that maybe sits for 6-8 hours max and boom happens again - same issue. So I hred a guy to look around my house and he really found no pests - I do have some squirrels, but thats about it. He is a pest expert - that was $400 and we put some traps which have yielded nothing. So afraid now to bring car home and this happens yet again - I begged the dealer to wrap it in electrical tape, plumbers tape or duct tape - they said they added wrapping to it. I asked for the wire as well.

So I opened a case with Land Rover as I am not $700 deep out of pocket plus $400 for the pest guy (so far). If its squirrels eating it I am screwed but we are going to put some repellent on the car as best we can.

If LR knows this is common why use wires like this? I want them to fix it permanetely with a wire that won't attract a rodent. There are no nests, no poo, no real sign aside from they find the wire tasty. Its not cold out at all.

I own 3 LR/RRs and just got a new Defender 110X. I will never buy another product if the most capable off road brand can't stop a rodent from eating a random wire. If it happens a third time I will invoke lemon law as a flaw.

I will keep you posted on my case - will be curious if anyone else has filed a case on this.

Thanks for listening.

I had a similar issue about 15 years ago with my F355. I found some wire wrap that had cayenne or something in it that critters didn't like. I also had a pest guy come out, so I don't know which resolved it, but it did not happen again.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had a similar issue about 15 years ago with my F355. I found some wire wrap that had cayenne or something in it that critters didn't like. I also had a pest guy come out, so I don't know which resolved it, but it did not happen again.
Quick search found Honda Rodent Tape...

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I have seen that, but I don't even know where this wire is - why do they insist on using soy based wires is the real issue...its a known issue. Again no nesting just critters chewing. The pest people won't kill a squirrel.

·
Registered
15 Posts
why do they insist on using soy based wires is the real issue...its a known issue.
Because it's eco-friendly! More important to be green than have a running car, I guess.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Because it's eco-friendly! More important to be green than have a running car, I guess.
LOL yep one way to save fuel. Silly though some of the eco stuff on a 575 HP gas guzzler!

·
Registered
2018 L405
137 Posts
why do they insist on using soy based wires is the real issue...its a known issue. Again no nesting just critters chewing. The pest people won't kill a squirrel.

It actually has to do with Obama Era mandates on Automotive electrical wiring, I've been told.
As far as killing a squirrel?... well, sometimes you gotta to what the pest people won't.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It actually has to do with Obama Era mandates on Automotive electrical wiring, I've been told.
As far as killing a squirrel?... well, sometimes you gotta to what the pest people won't.
Air rifle is loaded - they are fast though...

·
Registered
L494 V8 SC Dynamic
344 Posts
Yeah I have seen that, but I don't even know where this wire is - why do they insist on using soy based wires is the real issue...its a known issue. Again no nesting just critters chewing. The pest people won't kill a squirrel.
You can blame the Feds, rodent eating the wires & not parking in a garage on your issue. This is NOT a JLR problem as all manufacturers use the same wire insulation. Toyota had a real big problem with it years ago. I see it a fair amount at my work on Mercedes. The Honda tape works in most instances but squirrels are ruthless. We suggest customer usually file a insurance claim as this is not a manufacturer defect.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Its parked outside mostly - its my daily and I own a ton of exotics so it gets outside duty.

To the above it sits right next to my sons 2020 Tacoma - that car sits more than mine and never an issue. I get its my fault for parking outside, but still there is something to say that wires are tasty to pests. Its not like they are living in my car.

I am ok lawyering up if I have to. So far since I have had it back and the dealer did some different wrapping and I now have full rodent repellent and traps nothing yet...

·
Registered
L494 V8 SC Dynamic
344 Posts
I am ok lawyering up if I have to.
Save your money, the manufactures have better lawyers.

About the Tacoma I used to have a 3rd gen & they are not rodent proof either. Seen plenty of posts on Tacomaworld about harness damage from rodents.

So my suggestion is purchase the Honda/Acura tape & wrap the damaged area & few other close by wires.

·
Registered
2010 SC 5.0 Range Rover MkIII / L322
2,013 Posts
get a 16 oz bottle of peppermint oil mix a 1 oz with 30 oz of water and spray the areas inside the hood and then under the car this should run off the rodents

·
Registered
918 Posts
Dodge did this too starting with their vehicles in the early 2000s. Big issue for farm trucks you just never heard about it because the internet wasn’t what it is today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
515 Posts
Insecticide... I sprayed it on/around my trash cans 3-4 years ago after raccoons squirrels kept dragging garbage all over the yard. It's so offensive to pest's olfactories that I haven't had a single problem since. Sprayed it all around my garage after I found rat droppings on my valve covers... No more rodents!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts