Range Rovers Forum banner

southern cali off roading (light) ?

23K views 96 replies 16 participants last post by  Off Roving 
#1 ·
Anyone know any good places for some light off roading (something my supercharged wheels would be able to handle) in southern california? Maybe around los angeles?

Any meetups from this forum in the past or future?

I can't seem to google any off roading trails near LA.. well none that are for free...

#2 ·
frinsan said:
Anyone know any good places for some light off roading (something my supercharged wheels would be able to handle) in southern california? Maybe around los angeles?

Any meetups from this forum in the past or future?

I can't seem to google any off roading trails near LA.. well none that are for free...
Stay tuned...we should have a trip coming up shortly. :)

Pokerplayer
Mike

#4 ·
OK SoCal, let's put our money where our mouth is... What do you think of getting together for a Dipped in Green "total immersion" training weekend organized by Offroving.com? I had an exchange of e-mails with Adam (who runs the joint and organizes these classes) and new dates appeared today on his calendar. The cost is fairly reasonable and surely we could all learn something... I definitely need some expert guidance since I am a total offroading newbie. It could be a fun weekend, especially if some fellow Sport owners get together (Adam's daily driver is the tricked-out GG Sport pictured doing amazing things in Moab, Utah on another thread, so his direct expertise with our ride is a major plus for me in wanting to join him.)

Here is how the 1.5-day weekend works: http://www.offroving.com/services.php

And here is the calendar of upcoming events: http://www.offroving.com/calendar.php

I was thinking of signing up for the Nov. 4 and 5 weekend, if the event is confirmed. The online form on offroving.com is currently not working (unless they fixed it overnight), so you may have to e-mail Adam for more info.

#6 ·
umbertob said:
OK SoCal, let's put our money where our mouth is... What do you think of getting together for a Dipped in Green "total immersion" training weekend organized by Offroving.com? I had an exchange of e-mails with Adam (who runs the joint and organizes these classes) and new dates appeared today on his calendar. The cost is fairly reasonable and surely we could all learn something... I definitely need some expert guidance since I am a total offroading newbie. It could be a fun weekend, especially if some fellow Sport owners get together (Adam's daily driver is the tricked-out GG Sport pictured doing amazing things in Moab, Utah on another thread, so his direct expertise with our ride is a major plus for me in wanting to join him.)

Here is how the 1.5-day weekend works: http://www.offroving.com/services.php

And here is the calendar of upcoming events: http://www.offroving.com/calendar.php

I was thinking of signing up for the Nov. 4 and 5 weekend, if the event is confirmed. The online form on offroving.com is currently not working (unless they fixed it overnight), so you may have to e-mail Adam for more info.
so saterday we train and sunday we hit the trails?do you think my stock 19 will do fine?

#7 ·
jazejeff said:
so saterday we train and sunday we hit the trails?do you think my stock 19 will do fine?
That's the plan. I imagine the stock 19" would be just fine, since after all these events are for new Land Rover Center customers just getting a taste of their vehicles' capabilities. However, you should probably ask Adam to make sure. Hope you can make it, Jeff.

#8 ·
Let's try by AZUSA OHV area first were I went the last time. It will be a good beginner trail for some and to test our your equipments. We can meet at my place which is bout half a mile from the first ranger station. Not sure if you guys got a chance to check out some of pics but it's a fairly a beginner and intermediate trail. Some river crossing and deep sand inclines some rock crawling too if you wish.

Jeff, I was using my stock 19's when I went and the same with the LR3's. Only trouble you would get into with the stocker's is when you do the rock crawling but the rest of the trail we should be able to handle.

Let me know guys.

Here are some pics you can check out:

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/gallery/index.php?cat=10122

Thanks,
Pokerplayer
Mike

#19 ·
CRAP Guys... its a NO GO for that Sunday. Just verified with the wifey that we are going to be with the in-laws that whole weekend!!! :evil: :cry: :cry: I double-booked myself!

#20 ·
Dipped in Green

All's good with you guys coming together for the Dipped in Green Experience.

The registration page is down still [goDaddy's website server is having problems with the cgi script] so just email me directly at spiker@offroving.com your interest. I'll reply with the details I need from you. The dates are confirmed but dealers are filling up most of the dates. If you want to do the Nov 4-5 then please let me know. I want to make sure your clan all gets in and stragglers don't get bumped. If you guys get 10 vehicles you'll each get $25 off your registration for filling up the trip on your own.

Everyone's 19's will be fine. I've got the 18" Nitto Terra Grapplers on mine right now but the stock rims/tires will be fine. No worries. They're surprisingly tough tires.

When I first got it, stock set up was what I was working with, see here:
http://roverlove.spaces.live.com/?_...ogview&_c=blogpart&partqs=amonth=6&ayear=2006
Scroll down to choose the image album for Big Bear December 29

#21 ·
Argh, dang it. Okay so currently i'm on the 20" supercharged wheels and conti tires. I also don't have the funds to buy back my 19"s (I shouldn't have sold them =(... ).

What do you guys think? They probably won't work on this trip huh?

I know they're horrible off roading wheels/tires.... but if you guys think I can survive (and considering i don't really mind the wheels getting damaged)... i'm good to go that weekend =)

#26 ·
****...I wish I was in California at the moment, I'd join you in a heartbeat.

Adam...those pictures of the Continental divide trip are extraordinary, I wonder if you are planning on leading another expedition like that...I'm sure there are plenty of guys in the HLRC (Houston Land Rover club) that would be interested as well.

I'm curious about a couple of things.

How many 5 gallon cans of extra gas do you guys take here, and are you running 2 spares or just 1 spare on these types of trips?

Is a Winch an absolute necessity on the RRS in this type of adventure, and I see that you are not running any rock sliders on the RRS...besides the scraping of the plastic forms on the doors, any material damage to the steel plates below?

Thanks in advance!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.