RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, the dreaded ECU fan squeek has been getting worse and today I finally unhooked it. Thinking it would be an inexpensive part (after 2 years of ownership I don't know what I was thinking) and so I called the local dealer for a quote. They want $230 for the thing, and I'm not finding many alternatives. Does anyone know of US parts suppliers like the old Utah Parts that offer discounted Range Rover parts? The part # in question is YQO000030.

Thanks!

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,728 Posts
Disconected? :shock: The squeek may be annoying, but are you really willing to risk overheating your ECU just for peace and quiet? However unlikely that scenario is, I would leave it plugged in until you find a replacement.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should have mentioned I'm using a different car in the interim . Otherwise the repair bill could climb exponentially. :shock:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Most PC fans are 12v and I'm guessing the ECU one is too. Worth taking in to a PC shop see if they have anything to match?

Post a piccy of it here maybe some one has seen similar elsewhere.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Lee_D said:
Most PC fans are 12v and I'm guessing the ECU one is too. Worth taking in to a PC shop see if they have anything to match?

Post a piccy of it here maybe some one has seen similar elsewhere.
You won't find a PC fan to fit this application. I just took mine out, it is a miniature squirrel cage fan. I lubed the bearings. I'll let the group know if that works.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'd sure like to know how this turns out for you as it seems like I'm having the same problem as we speak. I mentioned that I occasionally hear a squealing (sounds more like a cricket) when I open the car door and the sound seems to be emanating from the passenger side of the dash and someone on another forum said it was the fan on the ecu. When i asked how much it had cost him to have it replaced, he said it was done under LRNA CPO warranty.

·
Registered
200 Posts
maverixz said:
I'd sure like to know how this turns out for you as it seems like I'm having the same problem as we speak. I mentioned that I occasionally hear a squealing (sounds more like a cricket) when I open the car door and the sound seems to be emanating from the passenger side of the dash and someone on another forum said it was the fan on the ecu. When i asked how much it had cost him to have it replaced, he said it was done under LRNA CPO warranty.
I am now certain the cricket sound is the fan on the ECU. It does sound like it is at the passenger knees, glove box area, but it really starts up by the front of the car, and the sound travels that far. I could hardly believe it myself. At one point when it was squealing so loudly and constantly, I opened the hood and gave the ECU black box a thump with my fist, the sound stopped.

I've driven my car twice since yesterday's fix. So far no squealing; however, since it was not a consistent squeal so it really isn't a good test yet.

By the way, lubricating the motor shaft won't be a permanent fix. Or at least I don't think so. It will only be a matter of time and the noise will come back.

Didn't someone on this forum say the cost to repair was $260? I spent about 1 hour lubing the motor, seem to be worth the effort to me. And if I do it again it will be much quicker, I think it could be done in about 30 minutes.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Lummac said:
Could you post a picture as to where the ecu fan sits, and how it looks like??
No pictures. There is a big black box near the air filter (North American Model). That's where it is. It has several Allan cap screws on the lid. Open the lid look at the bottom, there's the fan. Very simple.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I used to have this noise frequently, over a period of more than a year. and it would get quite annoying. Of course it never happened when I took it in to the dealers and they say the warranty would only cover it if they could prove they had fixed something. The part was quite expensive, so I just left it. It hasn't recurred (touch wood) for about 4 months now.....

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just by way of follow-up I did end up getting the part from Roverland, they were the only place I could find online that carried the part. $147 including shipping and I was good to go. The fan sits in the bottom of the black ECU box (to your left as you look inside the engine bay from the front of the car). Replacement took me 15-20 minutes but I was going slow to make sure I didn't screw anything up. The job can probably be done quicker than that if you have more experience in these things. Ever since replacement the high pitch sound is gone, car is back to normal. :D

·
Registered
200 Posts
I thought I'd let everyone know that it has been four weeks since I lubricated my ECU cooling fan bearings. No noises since it did it. I still don't think it is a fix, just a method to put off replacing the unit for a while.

·
Registered
131 Posts
As some of you gentlemen had indicated, the sound never comes on when it is at the dealership so unfortunately they said they wouldn't fix what they are uncertain of just going by my description alone. I just might have to order the part myself and do a DIY.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts