RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 L405 autobiography with 74k miles and no more warranty. Recently I have noticed the sound cuts out (radio, ipod, sat radio, etc). It will cut out a couple of times and there will be static noise coming from the back speakers too.

Sometimes it goes away, sometimes it stays if I turn the music up I can drown it out.

Even with the radio off sometimes static is coming out from the back and the only way to stop it is to turn the car off and lock it and then it stops.

Does anyone have any idea on what to check?

also side note I have a range rover evoque too and I bought the gap IID tool, was wondering if that tool applies to the l405 ?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have exactly the same fault. I have been told I probably have water/damp in the amplifier
I was thinking of that possibility too. I am a BMW guy and this is a common issue that the seal deteriorates and allows water to seep in which eventually fries the amp.

I have some questions for you to see if we got the same problem,

Does your chimes work (seat belt, fuel low) noises when the radio acts up?
Is your issue of static worse on a cloudy/rainy/damp day? My radio barely works when its raining or cloudy at all. Sunny day its a bit better.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes when door is open it chimes but otherwise no other sounds. I had an audio guy look this morning but he couldn’t find the amplifier or sub woofer. I have someone else looking next week. If I get any clues I’ll let you know. My fault has changed as now I don’t even get the static noise.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Eventually found my amplifier was sat in water in a well under the front passenger seat. Tried drying but my amplifier is blown.There appears to be lots on eBay but with last 2 letters in the part number different. I’ve raised another post to see if anyone can help

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was having some other strange issues with the eco start not working and some other things, a new battery has fixed most of the issues and the static sound is much less frequent. I still do think my amp is damaged. Do you have a guide to check the amplifier or how to access it ?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Noise in sound systems can be frustrating. You might try connecting an electrolytic capacitor across the power lead to ground. Make sure the end marked + is on the positive side of the power. Capacitors across the power leads may short the noise to ground. Capacitors appear as an open to DC, but noise like clicks and pops, or static are AC in nature, to which a capacitor will appear as a short. Ray

1 - 7 of 7 Posts