RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finally putting the wire harness on the motor before putting it back in the bay. I have two terminals I cant figure out. They are not in connector diagrams in RAVE. I cant find any relative photos. So, if an someone would help I would greatly appreicate it. I deleted my air injection so maybe they are related to that? Please note one wire is Red which has me concerned that it's not a simple ground. The black wire is likely a ground. But, I;m not certain of that either. So, instead of F'ing things up I would like to connect them to there real home.
Left Rear injector harness.jpg Right rear injection harness.jpg
One way to make your 4.6 look like a POS add it's wire harness..

·
Registered
343 Posts
First one looks like the ground that connects to the back side of the manifold (drivers side LHD) behind the spark plug wire clip. In fact your first picture shows the screw hole I believe.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The red wire is what is confusing. I will have to take a look at the schematics I guess.. I'm not to good with those. Maybe someone will chime in.. I still have plenty of other work to do before I drop the motor in.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Does it go to the alternator, just looks the type of wire, Red with a ring terminal onto the back of the alternator, Use a multimeter and test continuity from the ring terminal to the battery? or am I looking at the wrong end of the engine!!!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's plain red with out any tracer color and comes out from the ECU leg of the harness on the NAS passenger side. It's is only long enough to mount too something between the block and firewall..

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nope, it's on the fire wall side of the engine. It's tucked away in a fairly tight spot when inside the engine bay and is likely covered up by the SS air pump piping.
Does it go to the alternator, just looks the type of wire, Red with a ring terminal onto the back of the alternator, Use a multimeter and test continuity from the ring terminal to the battery? or am I looking at the wrong end of the engine!!!

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
Going through the diagram looking for single red wires comes up with the following:

There's a red wire in with 3 others going to the MAF sensor
There's a red wire in with 2 others going to the Throttle position sensor
There's a red wire in with 2 others going to ignition coil pack 1
There's a single red wire going to the secondary air injection pump
There's two red wires from the ignition coils that seem to become 1 that then go to what is described on the diagram as Capacitor Link 1 (Z285) which it says is located on the LH side of the engine. This has two wires coming off it, both red, the other then going via splice S521 where it changes colour to black and is earthed at the RH (passenger side in your case) rear of the engine (can't make out from the picture whether it is earthed to the back of the engine or the bulkhead but it is somewhere down behind the auxiliary air valve. I suspect this is the one you have floating around and for some reason it was decided to earth it directly rather than going through the splice and changing colour.

There's also Z284, capacitor link 3 located in the LH rear corner of the engine compartment and Z283, capacitor link 2 which is also located on the LH side of the engine. No idea what they do though and can't find reference to them on the diagram either!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I should have taken photos prior to tear down... Made the bad assumption that RAVE would make it easy to reassemble.. Another life lesson learned..

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Among the other things that have me scratching my head on your "build", this one adds to it...
Why would you put the engine harness on before installing the engine? Thus meaning you removed the whole harness from the Rover.....Lost me there. I have yet to pull an engine harness when swapping engines, although I personally dont see the need for more work than what is required neither.
As far as your mystery connector goes, I'd say with pulling things that were there from the factory, along with the wires than all manufacturers install in a loom that rarely get connected, your best bet is to go back over your steps when you pulled the whole thing out. Spending 2hrs on Alldata isn't a fun thing for me, so RAVE it is for you then I guess.

Martin

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Marty, the harness needed work just like the engine. It had tons of peeling tape, burnt / torn covers and exposed metal on a injection connector. The connector had to be replaced. Good luck doing that in the engine bay. Nothing has changed on the harness other then when it was refurbished. The terminals have wear marks from a bolt or nut tightening over them.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for all your help.. Engine is ready to go back in,,

Going through the diagram looking for single red wires comes up with the following:

There's a red wire in with 3 others going to the MAF sensor
There's a red wire in with 2 others going to the Throttle position sensor
There's a red wire in with 2 others going to ignition coil pack 1
There's a single red wire going to the secondary air injection pump
There's two red wires from the ignition coils that seem to become 1 that then go to what is described on the diagram as Capacitor Link 1 (Z285) which it says is located on the LH side of the engine. This has two wires coming off it, both red, the other then going via splice S521 where it changes colour to black and is earthed at the RH (passenger side in your case) rear of the engine (can't make out from the picture whether it is earthed to the back of the engine or the bulkhead but it is somewhere down behind the auxiliary air valve. I suspect this is the one you have floating around and for some reason it was decided to earth it directly rather than going through the splice and changing colour.

There's also Z284, capacitor link 3 located in the LH rear corner of the engine compartment and Z283, capacitor link 2 which is also located on the LH side of the engine. No idea what they do though and can't find reference to them on the diagram either!

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Among the other things that have me scratching my head on your "build", this one adds to it...
Why would you put the engine harness on before installing the engine? Thus meaning you removed the whole harness from the Rover.....Lost me there. I have yet to pull an engine harness when swapping engines, although I personally dont see the need for more work than what is required neither.
As far as your mystery connector goes, I'd say with pulling things that were there from the factory, along with the wires than all manufacturers install in a loom that rarely get connected, your best bet is to go back over your steps when you pulled the whole thing out. Spending 2hrs on Alldata isn't a fun thing for me, so RAVE it is for you then I guess.

Martin
Marty, the harness needed work just like the engine. It had tons of peeling tape, burnt / torn covers and exposed metal on a injection connector. The connector had to be replaced. Good luck doing that in the engine bay. Nothing has changed on the harness other then when it was refurbished. The terminals have wear marks from a bolt or nut tightening over them.
See the difference yet?
And yes, all connectors can be repaired in vehicle. Ask me, I have YET to remove an engine harness, and have made repairs to them when needed.

MARTIN

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There were four additional connectors on the trans beside the engine. After popping those off and I handled the entire harness with out flopping it all over the truck. I agree there are always quicker / easier ways to do things. This harness needed way too much work to wrestle with in the bay. It was quicker and easier to clean all the old fraying tape off and degrease deox the connnectors on a bench. Then I was able to check for more cracked insulation. Then retape the whole frigging thing. It was in sorry shape.. Now it is in better shape then me.. :?

See the difference yet?
And yes, all connectors can be repaired in vehicle. Ask me, I have YET to remove an engine harness, and have made repairs to them when needed.

MARTIN

1 - 15 of 15 Posts