RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to install a coil conversion kit myself and I managed to put the front and rear coils on the drivers side of the truck.

Now I am completely stuck. The passenger side front and rear will not drop enough (shock unscrewed) for me to put the coil spring in.... :doh:

I am completely beat up now....I spent 8 hours non-stop trying to figure this out....I tried a spring compressor kit from auto parts store and after all that work the treads at the top kept me from sliding the springs in....f*ck.

Now I am completely stumped and body is extremely sore.

Please help anybody who can help me trouble shoot through this.

·
Registered
543 Posts
MCE.

You should of replaced the springs front axle first, followed by the rear axle instead of doing one side and then the other dude !

Sounds like you are going to have to lift the truck up even more(safely please) to get the separation between bellow & capping ?

Get a "high-lift" jack or 'exhaust jack' to get in there, couple of bricks to hold the chassis in place in case of any movement & allow enough clearance to move the axle out freely and pull the contents out. If all else fails, revert back to one axle at a time.

Cheerio,

Vinniman
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 4 ton jack and it gets the truck up pretty high, but the axle still won't drop with the strut bolt off. Is there something I can take off to allow the axle to drop more....?

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
Take off the swaybar.

If you need more get the bottle jack out and put it between the axle and the frame and pump away.

BTW...it's DIY, not DYI.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,248 Posts
Sway bar and/or trac bar will allow the axle to fully droop. Try the sway bar links first though.

Martin

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is the trac bar the same as the panhard rod?

The sway bar is the anti-roll bar right?

What is the easiest way to take off the sway bar to have the passenger side rear and front axle drop enough....? Do I have to take the sway bar off completely or can I just un bolt one side...thanks for your patience as this is my first time trying to unbolt a sway bar.

Thank you.

Front axle suspension
1. Radius arms
2. Panhard rod
3. Shock absorbers
4. Bump stops
5. Anti-roll bar
6. Air springs
7. Front axle

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
Sway bar = anti-roll bar. Just take off the end link(s). It's just one bolt per side.

Try the jack method also.

And....if you have an extra jack around, with the rig up on jack stands, jack up the opposite side that you want to droop...it will make the other side drop some more.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,248 Posts
Mag hit it on the head. If you disconnect the sway bar links (1 bolt per side) it will allow the axle to droop a lot more when you jack up the opposite side.

Martin

·
Registered
226 Posts
***USE THIS TIP AT YOUR OWN RISK*****

I put 2" lift springs on my RRC and had a similar problem, used a tie down strap with ratchet to compress the spring, it's small not to get in the way when installing the springs

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
kmagnuss said:
Take off the swaybar.

If you need more get the bottle jack out and put it between the axle and the frame and pump away.

BTW...it's DIY, not DYI.
Kmagnuss, your bottle jack between the axle and the frame worked flawlessly. I took apart the sway bar but for some reason it still would not drop(too much tension or something). Anyways, I was frustrated then I remembered the bottle jack idea and tried and worked so well I was able to comfortably install the spring.

Thank you so much for everyone's tips and suggestions. Even though I am doing a non favored coil conversion, it was nice to have everyone chip in ideas.

I will try not to post too much about my coils :wink: .

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
I'd rather see another P38 being used on the road with coils than sent to the breaker with a working EAS.

Good job on the DIY.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I am afraid it's just your p38 struggling to stop you performing unneccessary surgery :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts