RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I know this has been asked before but I am really struggling to find an answer to my problem and yes I have used searches before anybody jumps on that one :D

I have a 1999 Autobiography with Sony rear seat entertainment (2 screens in the headrests and a Philips VHS player in the center console). I also have the Harman Kardon sound system with the subwoofer in the boot.

All was working well until one day, both the screens stopped working and the subwoofer stopped working at the same time.

The other speakers work, and the VHS player works fine, as does the front sat nav screen. I have tried everything I can think of, pressing the buttons on the dash for the screens, changing remote batteries, pressing all the buttons on the remote and downloading the user manual and trying that, to no avail.

I had a friend look and he did notice that the battery or alternator was giving 14.5 volts instead of 12 (I can't remember which and I'm no mechanic so excuse me if I have said that wrong!). He wondered as a shot in the dark, if some electronics shut off if there are too many volts?

Besides this, my P38 is great! And I am selling it once this issue is fixed if anybody is interested. Its a 1999 4.6 v8 Autobiography with all the walnut trimmings, rear seat entertainment (when it works!) and all that jazz. I have just replaced all air bags and 2 height sensors, and all brakes and pads with OE brembo.:razz:

Any help on the above will be greatly appreciated,

Thanks in advance!!

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
As it is an aftermarket system you are pretty much on your own. Start with the basics, do the screens have power? Have you traced the wires for a hidden fuse? As far as the subwoofer, is it strictly the factory sub or has it be changed out?

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
To expand on TH's post.......Did they tie the power for the screens into the sub woofer's power feed?
Find the fuse for the sub.

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
99 MY car wouldn't have the DSP amp but would be all analogue with the separate amp for the sub fed from Fuse 15. But Fuse 15 also feeds the two rear speaker amps, the interior lights, the tailgate release and the RF receiver for the keyfob, so it's unlikely to be the fuse or it would have been noticed. My money would be on the system having been installed with a Scotchlok or similar which has failed.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Ahh, yes, he did say Sub in Boot, not Sub AMP in boot.....
Unless an 99 Autobiography had a "Premium " sound system a year early?
Is there an setting for "DSP" along with Bass Treble, etc?

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
99 MY car wouldn't have the DSP amp but would be all analogue with the separate amp for the sub fed from Fuse 15.
You sure about that? Being an AB he would have the hi line system. In 99 I thought they had both DSP amp as well as the separate amp in the sub box. Nav was routed through the DSP along with other speakers. DSP had two power sources and the Sub had one.

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
There's two versions of the hi line system though, depending on year. The way I read the diagrams is that MY 2000 and on had the DSP system with the single amp driving all speakers, whereas a 99 had separate amps in each door and for the sub. May also be different fitments for different markets too so what was fitted to an Autobiography over here may not be the same as over there (as the OP is in the UK).

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
Well that's true. The changes for NAS are often a pain when it comes to these discussions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As it is an aftermarket system you are pretty much on your own. Start with the basics, do the screens have power? Have you traced the wires for a hidden fuse? As far as the subwoofer, is it strictly the factory sub or has it be changed out?
Hello and thanks for your replies!

The screens are not powered up, there is no red light on anyhow!

They are wired into a Sony unit underneath the passenger seat.

If we forget the TVs for now, do you have any ideas on just the subwoofer if the problem is separate to the TVs?
I aren't sure if mine is DSP etc, it does have an aftermarket head unit in though. Allthough the sub did work with this in before.

What is the best way to test it, or should I just get an auto electrician in?!

Many thanks for your replies i really appreciate your help

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
With an aftermarket head unit you are even more on your own than before. When an aftermarket system is install all bets are off. We have no idea what system is installed, how it is installed, how much original wiring was used... there simply is NOTHING specific we can say. You will need to trace wires to see where power, grounds and signals come from for each component. Apologies but once someone hacks in aftermarket gear there is no way someone else would know how it is installed or works.

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
Unlikely you had the DSP system in that case as that would have a big DSP amp mounted next to the sub with a 38 (ish) way connector going to it to drive all the speakers. The pre-DSP system had separate amps in each door to drive each channel. So either your aftermarket head unit outputs line level signals and the original door amps have been used or it outputs speaker level signals and the amps in the doors have been bypassed so the signal goes directly to the speakers. In whatever case, it isn't standard so without it in front of us, nobody on here is going to be able to help much.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts