RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started not long ago, engine runs good and strong BUT I finally located the intermittant "knocking" sound which is coming from the oil pan area. Sounds like a bolt or nut knocking around in the pan intermittently. Any ideas ?

98 HSE

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tried the link and could not find the Blog about piston slap. Can you guide me a little further. I was up your way a few months ago driving back from Montana with one of my company trucks I had on a job there. Beautifull Country!
Thanks!
Johnny

·
Registered
186 Posts
johnnywadd said:
Tried the link and could not find the Blog about piston slap. Can you guide me a little further. I was up your way a few months ago driving back from Montana with one of my company trucks I had on a job there. Beautifull Country!
Thanks!
Johnny
Scroll WAAAY down on the link. It talks about how skirts can compress and give you a rattle.

North Dakota isn't quite as pretty in January. Even with Mr. Robison's comments on the V-8 (for which I believe he is THE expert this side of the Atlantic), I think the product is very dependable if you take care of it. Our winter weather and sparse population combine to make for a situation that can kill you when you're stranded on the open road. I don't like driving if bad weather is coming, but if I have to I take the RR.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea that was a really informative blog. The very intermittant ( no rhythm if you rev it up like it had a spun bearing or something) seems worse at idle. I have not had any coolant loss, been checking the level closely everyday, BUT the very first spark plug I pulled did have a slight white residue. I am just trying to pin this problem down just in case it is serious so I can correct it before more damage is done possibly. Like I said it is a slight knocking/rattling sound with no set rhythm coming from the oil pan area. Engine runs great though. Yea we came thru in April, most of the snow had melted thank goodness, I don't have a lot of experience driving in it.
Thanks
Johnny

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The BEST sound description I can give is , it sounds like a bolt is in the oil pan and is getting knocked around some. The sound actually pretty much goes away as I rev it up.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Was the cylinder with the slightly white residue on the end (1,7, 2, or 8 )? If so it could be the start of a head gasket failure. Do a compression test and see if there is any substantial difference. Sound carries through the engine, so the rattle could be coming from a distance. Does it stop when you have it in gear? I was thinking maybe the flex plate had a crack.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea it was # 1. It does not rattle while in gear your slightly revved up, just at idle in park.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,424 Posts
I'm thinking cracked flex plate.

You might be lucky enough to be able to see if you take off the bottom half-moon plate from the bell housing.

See viewtopic.php?f=3&t=33112&p=256736

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Ron will check. Been looking to get back down under for sometime. Have not been there since training with the US Army in 99' . Had alot of fun with your countrys' troops in Iraq and afgan. Down under is great country.

Thanks
Johnny

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
5,424 Posts
If you get down this way, let me know in advance. I'm in western Sydney.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If it is a cracked plate, would it also cause drive train vibration at sudden increase of speed as in the case you are passing another vehicle?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looks cracked. How hard is this fix?? Have the shop manual but looking for an easy download for RAVE.
Thanks
Johnny

·
Registered
71 Posts
been wondering if it might have been that.
just had the same with a brand new motor installed, but we didn't drive it around, so i wasn't sure from your description.
you'll need to pull the motor or gearbox. motor is probably easier if you have an engine crane/blockntackle.

............tasi

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
5,424 Posts
Someone on here says he slid the gearbox back a little and changed it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
johnnywadd said:
If it is a cracked plate, would it also cause drive train vibration at sudden increase of speed as in the case you are passing another vehicle?
It could. Flex plate is meant to allow the torque convertor to expand towards the engine when you increase load on it. If it's cracked, the convertor could expand off axis when you put the screws to it. Not much of course, but enough to vibrate.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts