RangeRovers.net Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
BTW, did you ask them why all the warning lights came up?
If the bearing is bad enough to allow the axle to shift, then the wheel speed sensor is no longer in line with the reluctor on the axle, which will cause the sensor to drop its signal, and hence all the lights turn on.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I was actually about to type "because of the wheel speed sensor" and then thought I better refresh the page, and there is roverguy7 saying exactly that. That is exactly why.

First the first time since I bought it I have no lights on! All systems are go. I am going not going to feel right until i replace the other side however.

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
If they used the factory part, which considering the price you paid, I hope they did, find a Timken(LR014147/LR048083) as that is OEM, just without the fancy LR box.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,469 Posts
If they used the factory part, which considering the price you paid, I hope they did, find a Timken(LR014147/LR048083) as that is OEM, just without the fancy LR box.
That's the same part # shown on the Atlantic British site link I had posted...notice that they have OEM and non OEM pricing...the shop hopefully used an OEM part with their uplift for shipping or profit...but you can clearly get the part cheaper with the non OEM pricing AB offers.

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
It is, and that one uses a Timken bearing, I'm not sure on what manufacturer brand it is, based on price I don't think it is the Timken, but it is absolutely a very good option(correct Timken bearing, correct style hub, some are not chamfered around the lugs) and I could consider it compatible with factory. Really the only thing I don't like about AB is that aside from factory parts, they rarely list manufacturer.

I only mentioned it as searching you can find a lot of cheaper options out there, but this is very much the 'get what you pay for' type of part.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
I only mentioned it as searching you can find a lot of cheaper options out there, but this is very much the 'get what you pay for' type of part.
100%. The only wheel bearings I'll use are Toyo or Timken. I've farted around with other cheaper options and 30K later I'm back in the shop.

This is another part where because it goes in a RR, its more expensive. A high quality bearing and hub assembly for a Toyota is less than $200.

And my big gripe with AB is they will freely substitute another make in the order even after I've asked on the phone who makes the part and been told its manufacturer X. They've been good about the returns but I've pretty much limited myself to ordering 'Genuine' parts from them.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,469 Posts
Don't jinx me Goose...I just replaced my two rear wheel bearings from AB...so far so good! :)

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Don't jinx me Goose...I just replaced my two rear wheel bearings from AB...so far so good! :)
You have an advantage that you're not driving around in snow and salt for 4 months at a the time--I think those do a number on wb's.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,469 Posts
True!! Have to say though that I've had good luck with AB on all the parts I have bought from them...no issues at all over the years.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
AB's price + Shipping is only about $40 less than what I was charged by the shop. I am certain they got the part from the local LR dealer. The labor to put it in was $250 which if someone ask me to do their wheel bearing for $250 I would strongly consider telling them no. So the shop really did a pretty good job for an acceptable price.

They had a couple defenders in the lot in the back, I couldn't go look though b/c they had a fence :(.

I am going to get the one thats "Genuine", the piece of mind is worth the extra $100.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts