Range Rovers Forum banner

Something different

2K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  RRToadHall 
#1 ·
Unlike the usual RRC owner I'm looking to lower my ride. The wife is getting less able to climb in, It's a freeway cruiser only and I think it would further enhance the already superb handling.

Anybody know of a shorter spring of the same rate to be fitted?

Thanx in advance...

Steve in Las Vegas

#3 ·
Thanx Mr. Toadhall `)

I agree. I keep thinking to take the spring specs out of the book to a local spring shop and have them made. Should be cheap and easy. That said, many years later I've not done it. reallife and all , ya know...

I'd rather buy a set from the Internet and bolt them in some weekend and motor on forever after. Alas, My needs don't fit the general market :lol:

#4 ·
We have a joint in the area that can lower srpings in a matter of minutes. I know one person that has done it on a castrated P38 and one on an old Heep. THey place the rig on a lift, set up a jig for wach corner and heat the spring until they bend/drop the desired distance. The P38 was lowered two inches and has been riding level and comfy for over three years. The Jeep went about two years trouble free until the owner changed his mind and lifted it again.

#6 ·
GT6Steve said:
Unlike the usual RRC owner I'm looking to lower my ride. The wife is getting less able to climb in, It's a freeway cruiser only and I think it would further enhance the already superb handling.

Anybody know of a shorter spring of the same rate to be fitted?

Thanx in advance...

Steve in Las Vegas
Famous Four in the UK sell 1" lowered springs for the Range Rover Classic. Also I would only use the standard oil shocks as the ride can be a little hard if you use gas shocks.

#7 ·
I tried to buy from Famous Four but they don't seem interested in the US market. They ignored Emails and publish a wrong phone number. Such poor service I'd be a bit nervous buying from them now. Thanx for the tip though...

I am persuing a streed rod guy that may be able to point to a shop doing this work. Thanx, Steve

#9 ·
My goodness!

oday is saturday. I placed my order with Famous Fours on Monday.

The rear springs are on already and the fronts will go on tomorrow.

What incredible service! The power steering hoses ordered on the same Monday from texas won't be here until maybe Monday.

that said, the rears don't look any lower and maybe a bit higher than the twenty one year old factory springs. At least it sits level now for the first time ever! Fronts will go on tomorrow probably and after a few hundred miles of settling I may see the effect I'm looking for.... :dance:

#10 ·
Well,
all the springs are on now.

The fronts are definately lower. No measurements cuz I'm not very smart sometimes but it is perceived to be much lower when standing at the front with the hood open.

Rear still looks the same but being British springs they will settle a bit after driving. Got the new power steering hoses today and if I put them on I could drive it again. So far other projects are calling louder ;)

I'll report back after some drive time but so far I'm pleased with the Famous Four springs... :thumb:

#11 ·
OK, after drive time...the front is definately lower and exactly where I want it. Good job there. Rear is still up at exactly the same (perceived) ride height. I wonder if I got the wrong bits? Tomorrow I'll have it on the motorway and there are a couple of sweepers where I can evaluate any handling changes.

#13 ·
rrtoadhall said:
We have a joint in the area that can lower srpings in a matter of minutes. I know one person that has done it on a castrated P38 and one on an old Heep. THey place the rig on a lift, set up a jig for wach corner and heat the spring until they bend/drop the desired distance. The P38 was lowered two inches and has been riding level and comfy for over three years. The Jeep went about two years trouble free until the owner changed his mind and lifted it again.

Thats probbly the worst idea ever posted on here. Seriously, do you know anything about steel? compressing it while under heat will make it britle and lose its progression, also cause the springs to get out of true upright form. Thats about the most dangerous thing Ive ever heard, hard turn on the freeway to avoid a merging car and POP the springs compress causing you to lose control.

I know your a. going to delete this or b. retort and say those people had no issues at all but do you really feel right telling this guy to do something that stupid and dangerous?

Next week we will talk about how we can buy used brake from a breaker to save $10. :roll:

#15 ·
ZLandrum said:
A guy around here drives this -

It's air bagged.... not my cup of tea by any means, but seems like it'd be easy to get in and out of ;)
He has alot of work in it Im sure. Also is the hot rod with the hood up as clean as it looks?

#16 ·
Doctor Leo said:
rrtoadhall said:

Thats probbly the worst idea ever posted on here. Seriously, do you know anything about steel? compressing it while under heat will make it britle and lose its progression, also cause the springs to get out of true upright form. Thats about the most dangerous thing Ive ever heard, hard turn on the freeway to avoid a merging car and POP the springs compress causing you to lose control.

I know your a. going to delete this or b. retort and say those people had no issues at all but do you really feel right telling this guy to do something that stupid and dangerous?

:roll:
I have got to agree with this, whoever is doing this is an absolute IDIOT such work on a spring can cost lives, heating springs in this nature totally alters the structure of the steel and will cause failure. If a spring fails at highway speeds, this could result in an accident, absolutely stupid!

#17 ·
Doctor Leo said:
rrtoadhall said:

C: none of the above. Like all posts here I was simply passing on another option. Jast as with any other post here you certainly have the option to post your opinion as well. It is up to every single member here to do their own research adn make their own decision about a course of action about their own rigs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.