RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Somebody! Please tell me good things & why you love your RR!

Hi everyone,
Yup... I am a total newbie to the Rover world. My husband's in Afghanistan & his beloved, 12-year-old Explorer hit 100k miles (aka the "nickel & dime you to death" phase), so I bought him a 2003 RR- with 24k miles on it, one owner, with service records: basically a pristine vehicle.

Was I planning on getting a RR? Nope! But just driving The Beast -my pet name for it- for five minutes, and I was in luuuuv. Plus, the goahead from my veteran car salesman father, along with my mechanic, made me feel pretty confident.

(And, so you know I'm not a complete tool who drove a Rover & bought it cause it was "pretty"... I did do a LOT of research on RR's & am aware of common problems & issues, associated costs... our other car is a 530i, so I am a fervent believer in excellent maintenance w/a qualified indie mechanic; fortunately my mechanic loves Rovers & kept many a local RR going past 300k miles!)

However, after reading the titles to the forums- I am completely panicked now. Would you please tell me why you love your RR, and the *good* experiences you've had with them?? If nothing else, than to make me feel a wee bit better and to know that I hopefully didn't just buy my husband a lemon?

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Re: Somebody! Please tell me good things & why you love your RR!

ShastaBarbell said:
Hi everyone,
Yup... I am a total newbie to the Rover world. My husband's in Afghanistan & his beloved, 12-year-old Explorer hit 100k miles (aka the "nickel & dime you to death" phase), so I bought him a 2003 RR- with 24k miles on it, one owner, with service records: basically a pristine vehicle. Was I planning on getting a RR? Nope! But just driving The Beast -my pet name for it- for five minutes, and I was in luuuuv. Plus, the goahead from my veteran car salesman father, along with my mechanic, made me feel pretty confident.

However, after reading the titles to the forums- I am completely panicked now. Would you please tell me why you love your RR, and the *good* experiences you've had with them?? If nothing else, than to make me feel a wee bit better and to know that I hopefully didn't just buy my husband a lemon?

Thanks!!!
Prob not the best purchase if you're looking for something reliable. If you thought the explorer nickel and dimed you, you're in for a rude awakening soon. All the parts are very expensive and unless your mechanic has some pretty high dollar tools, he's not going to be able to fix it for you. Hope you have a dealer or good independent close by. Or perhaps you or your husband are savvy enough to make repairs at home.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I edited the post as you were replying re: the "I did research" and "my mechanic's kept RR going" parts.

Anything good to tell me... like why you love RRs?

And, momma didn't raise no fool: I secured a fantastic extended warranty- yes, I compared plans and policies and exclusions- less than 24 hours after purchase.

·
Premium Member
2013 & 2016 L405's
972 Posts

Hello Shasta and welcome to the forum...I've had my 2005 Range for just a couple of months now and I'm happy with it so far. You made a good call on the warranty but hopefully you won't have to use it anytime soon. I like the Range because it's easy to drive around town...I also have a 2006 Hummer H2 that isn't so kind in daily traffic because of it's size but it's way more confortable than the Range. Anyway, best of luck to you and enjoy your new purchase. :thumb:

·
Registered
48 Posts

ShastaBarbell said:
Because after the frequent short (and sometimes long) stints in numerous rental and loaner cars, every time I get back in my '03 Rover, I'm reminded that there is nothing out there that I've found that compares to its driving experience, ride quality, and looks. For me, the Rover is all about the emotional, visceral response that I have to it. Honestly, absent this, there is no way in heck a Rover is worth putting up with. A good used Forerunner, Land Cruiser, etc. (take your pick) is far and away the "wiser," much less frustrating ownership route.

I have a good extended warranty as well -- which by the way has now paid out over $9,000 in repairs in my three years of ownership shepherding the Rover from 49,000 miles to her current 79,000 miles. I'm currently out of my Rover for over 2 weeks while the transmission is being remanufactured in Michigan. The extended warranty company required a certain company to do it, and they didn't have any in stock. So mine had to be pulled and shipped there from Mississippi. Just part of the joys of Rover ownership.

Hopefully, your husband will have the same emotional attachment that I suspect many of the other owners here have.

Take care,
Cliff

·
Registered
121 Posts

I love the interior ambience, interior quiteness and interior design (especially 06's and up with upgraded NAV unit and speaker front speaker surrounds plus improved sound deading)
I love the way the doors open and close with a certain thump and quality sound (like a bank vault)
I love the clean lines and the view of the rear silouhette ( you always know when your approaching a RR from a distance)
I love the seats with the upgraded leather
I love the fact that I can off road at Boars Head Ranch (Dade City, FL) in the morning and hit the valet parking lot at Flemmings Steakhouse later that evening.
I love the architectural design of the hood
I love the 6 speed and Jaguar engine\
I can keep going and going
This is my 3rd Land Rover since 06' and a Land Rover will be my next SUV purchase

·
Registered
38 Posts

I've got a 2007 Diesel V8 in England and a 2007 Petrol V8 in Dubai. Both are fantastic to drive and I've been off-road in the mountains between Dubai (UAE) and Oman with confidence. It really is the best vehicle to go from dinner jacket to shorts and t-shirt; smart hotel entrance to deep mountain valley or high pass. Emotional content is high. There are of course lows and there is always that uncertainty about what might go wrong. I enjoy finding out what might go wrong and hoping that when it does I'll be prepared for it. This community is outstanding. The helpfulness and depth and knowledge available is really breathtaking.

So, certainly not your average family transport but on a higher plane of emotional involvement coupled with amazing flexibility and capability.

I've been hooked on Land Rover products for 35 years. I'm addicted and could never imagine not having at least one available somewhere.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,475 Posts

ShastaBarbell said:
When it's broken down dealers offer you free snacks and usually detail the car at no additional charge. Ford dealers do not do this.

I've been driving them since I got my license... I've always like them for their comfort and utility, but they are a maintenance nightmare for the most part.

·
Registered
952 Posts

I've had 2 and they've been fine. No more of a maintenance problem that any other luxury vehicle. I've owned. Kind of a strange replacement for an explorer though, quite a bit more $$ to keep up.

·
Registered
47 Posts

My question is, where the heck did you find a 2003 with only 24k on it?! Mind if I ask how much you bought it for?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Thanks for all the responses! I actually "found" it as I was shopping around for either a Volvo SUV or Acura MDX (looking for a 3rd-row seat). The HSE had just come in to the dealer from South FL the same time I arrived at the dealership, and was being detailed- hadn't been on the lot yet even, still had the plastic on it from transport.

Part of the reason I went for it was because of the low mileage, and the service records came with it- one owner, all service & maintenance done by the same Land Rover dealership. It appeared to be a vacation vehicle, and driven as such, and from the records appeared to have been driven maybe half the year, then serviced religiously.

I knew the NADA/KBB value for that model & year (as mentioned previously, my father was sales management for GM for approx 30 yrs), and I paid about $3k more than the book value. I was willing to because a) the mileage was nil, and the vehicle itself is pristine and b) it's called car "sales" for a reason- not car "giving". It's a business, and as such, I don't feel the need to try and get a vehicle for absolutely nothing.

The dealer was wonderful to me, and took it back 2 days after I bought it (purchased this Wednesday, so Friday) to complete the detailing and to have their mechanic ensure nothing is untoward with the engine etc., even though technically it's my vehicle now and they don't really owe me that service.

Explorer to a RR isn't much of a jump; we have a 530i that we got in a similar deal: low low mileage, excellent service record, one owner- we bought it outside of Munich and shipped it back. So as far as maintaining "luxury" vehicles... my thought is that a BMW or RR with low miles and excellent service history is a smarter buy than a new Explorer or Expedition at twice the price. We held on to the Explorer because it was running, and our identity isn't tied into the brand of cars we own. Although... that may change given my strange attachment to the Rover now :)

That being said... the RR is an absolute joy. I feel like my kids are completely safe in it, and gas mileage isn't any better or worse than another V8 SUV. Since we're committed to expert, frequent maintenance by qualified mechanic- ours does RR, Rolls, BMW, Jaguar- his shop looks like a hole in the wall, but is the best around town hands-down, hopefully that approach and a kickass warranty will be a good combination.

Essentially, I know there's a reason I chose this vehicle- it was a visceral response to driving it, and I wanted to hear about others' experiences too (maybe to know I wasn't alone in some crazy emotional response to a machine!) :mrgreen:

·
Registered
405 Posts

The Range Rover is the ultimate sport sedan. It carries 4 in ultimate comfort through blizzards to the slopes. It takes our mountain bikes across country to races and I drive it places that I never could drive a typical sport sedan. Sure it's not fast or some canyon carver but all that does it get you thrown in jail. It WILL tow a Lotus 211 or vintage racer nicely to the track though. Instead of saying I'm a rich pimp daddy in a big Merc., it says I am active and have quiet money. I have bought 7 new Land Rover over the last 15 years and have had problems with none of them. When they get high miles, they are no different then an exotic that requires lots of maintenance so I usually dump them after a number of years.

·
Registered
20 Posts

This is my 2nd range, I had my first one for about a week, long story. I've owned bmw, mb, jag, and I love my range.

Like any other luxury car repair are expensive. I did all my repairs and upkeep myself on my bmw, which saved thousands! If you can do your own repairs you'll save big money.

I love my range:

the seats, sound system, the ride quality, the overall craftsmanship. I love how solid it feels.

Enjoy your range

·
Registered
2007 HSE
388 Posts

Just out of curiosity, through which company did you get the extended warranty?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
144 Posts

get a good indy mechanic, replace those air bags in the front struts with arnotts and watch the coolant - replace radiator, expansion tank, tank lid, tranny connector piece and hoses if an annual drain does not meet the specs for how quickly the fluid runs out. Change the tranny fluid even though RR says not to and you will be good to go.

Look at this forum before you buy parts for your indie to install - someone found a radiator here for 269 with free shipping - that is a very good price.

Other than a few annoyances you can replace youself the cost should be low and the rigs run a long time.

I plan on keeping my 03 for another 20 - 25 years and suspect it will make it with just some routine maintenance. I love the ride on the freeway and seats are very nice for long trips - great off road as well and can't beat the looks for an SUV IMHO.

So have fun and enjoy. Just don't let the tranny or engine overheat and you should be good to go.

JH

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

rfdiii said:
Just out of curiosity, through which company did you get the extended warranty?

Thanks.
Warranties 4 Wheels, NAC is the underwriter. Checked them against quite a few others.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts