RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, this is my first post, and am excited to be a part of the community! So my dad and I went in on a project car together. Its a 1993 Range Rover Classic SWB with 100,000 miles and no rust, so we are pretty pumped about finally getting one since the one we had before just had too many rust issues so it needed to go. Anyways, I have a check engine light on and I'm not really sure how to diagnose it. I know theres supposed to be an LED light up display under the passenger seat but when i open up the plastic cover I can't seem to find anything but a bunch of wires. Also, the car keeps stalling when i come to a complete stop after driving it for a few miles. The fuel filter was replaced recently and its not bad gas since we went through a full tank and filled it up with 91 octane and put heet in it as well. So I'm not really sure whats going on there. Also, when i take a sharp turn the wheels squeal as if theres something going on with the 4wd system and there is some shaking going on in the steering wheel. theres also a knocking noise while i turn. Finally, when i go over a bump while turning, the wheel shakes terribly and stops shaking after about a few seconds. If anyone has some answers to the symptoms I'm having, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Cormac

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
34 Posts
Hello Cormac,

I am not a mechanic but have had a '95 Classic for 11 years and have experienced some similar problems. Here are a few things to check:
- regarding the stalling, does it start back up but then continue to cut out/stall? The distributor rotor and cap would be the first thing to check. Stick with Lucas rotor and cap - other products don't perform well at all. Also clean out the stepper motor and the body in which it screws into. If this does not help, it could be your fuel pump is going out or the ignition amplifier module is going bad.
- what color is the check engine light? Red or Yellow? I believe the red light indicates that the exhaust smog sensor needs to be reset. You can find it under the passenger seat.
- the led display is under the right side of the passengers seat and cannot be seen by removing the front access cover. Are you looking in the correct place? If there are codes, they will be displayed in red numbers and can easily be traced through Google searches.
- regarding the suspension, there could be a number of issues: back shocks, bad steering damper, worn ball joints, front differential problems. I would find a reputable shop familiar with Rovers and have them diagnose the problems. At that point, you can decide what repairs you want to make yourself and what repairs you want the shop to perform. I'm a big fan of getting accurate diagnosis first and then determining if I want to do the work or pay to have it done.

Best of Luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, it starts back up and the next time i come to a stop it usually stalls again. The check engine light is yellow, and yeah it would probably be good to bring it to someone, but i don't really know of any good land rover mechanics in the area, but thanks for the advice, and ill check out the codes tomorrow morning, thanks again!

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
81 Posts
I see you're from Lowell/Bar Harbor, I have had good luck with a previous vehicle at Land Rover in Scarborough, ME and so have others that I know. Hampton Foreign Auto repair in Hampton, NH isn't a Rover dealer but they did a lot of work on a Rover I looked at buying and were very good to deal with. I can't speak for their quality of work, but they were extremely helpful to me. Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks, i won't be in maine for another week or two, so i was just trying to find somewhere closer to lowell to get it looked at, thanks for the suggestions though

1 - 6 of 6 Posts