Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello:

I was wondering if anyone may have an idea of what could be wrong with my 1996 RR SE. Any help or ideas would be very much appreciated.

Car has 70K on it when:
- the rmps would drop to the point that the oil light came on when at a red light
- car would lose all power when driving sometimes and the only way to get past it was to floor it or wait it out. It was always followed by a pop (maybe with a clunk - if that makes sense) which felt as if it was coming from under the driver seat.
- Mechanic has done the following:
a. misfiring shows up on diagnostics so *spark plugs changed, *ignition coil changed
b. cant get a MAF sensor anymore so he swapped it out with someone else's temporarily to see if that would solve the problem - it did not (it was temporarily better for about a day after he cleaned the one on my vehicle)
c. checked pressure all around and no issues there. The fuel pump was 33 or 35 (but normal is 34 right?)
d. ignition wiring replaced
e. O2 sensors all fine
f. transmission fluid fine

There are a couple of other things that I cant recall right now (as far as what he has checked out). This is the problem still - the car wont drive past 15-20 mph without misfiring and loss of power. He is the only mechanic I trust aside from a dealership (which is ridiculously expensive) and we cannot resolve this problem. Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with a problem like this?

Thanks.

- SpecialKNYC

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
It could be the crank sensor, but usually if these things go bad, you can't even start the engine, so it could be something else.

If I were you, I would go back to the diagnostics, and check all codes that's present.

Typically, diagnostics alone at a RR Indy is under $100. You're typically not obligated to do repairs. If all else fails, I think it's a good idea to get your car to an indy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses. I did manage to find out what the problem was. Turns out the flywheel was shot and the sensor (right on the money TheoR and rrtoadhall) was bad as well. Cost was about 1,800 including a 250 diagnostics fee (insane). The cost, I suspect would have been the same at a dealership but beggars can't be choosers and I was tired of not being able to drive it. When doing the flywheel is there anything else that is usually done at the same time?Is there a usual time that the flywheel goes bad? I had an older 89 that did not have any of these problems (kind of sorry I gave that one up). Anyways thanks again for the responses it is appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One other question ... anyone know where I can purchase a MAF sensor? The dealership said they cant get them anymore (unbelievable!) and it seems that any after market ones are of very poor quality (from what I have heard). Any recommendations?

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,277 Posts
Island 4x4 has a Britpart one.
I dare say there are lots others out there too.
After that low mileage, I would not bother myself. Mine has over 200k miles on it, and is the OEM one. No wonder they cost so much huh? :lol:

Martin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.