RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[youtube:2ds3765g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TshFWSsrn8&feature=player_embedded#![/youtube:2ds3765g]

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
How come you guys have never really got into WRC? Is Ken Block the only American doing rally?

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rich998a said:
How come you guys have never really got into WRC? Is Ken Block the only American doing rally?
Good question. Not speaking for myself, because I think its fascinating and will actually sit down and watch some on TV once in a while, but I think most Americans can't relate to a 1.6L subcompact car being driven like a bat out of hell because those types of cars are kinda alien to us. Apparently Ken is the only one...maybe he can elevate the sport here.

I also think it may not be as spectator friendly as some of our other motorsports. We prefer to sit our fat asses in a stadium with a large plastic cup of watery beer to wash down a disgusting hot dog and watch NASCAR and monster truck rallies as overweight, busty women parade around with their tramp stamps showing...it's more American.

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
q-rover said:
I know, gooseloosey does have a way with words.
Lol - Are we talking about Ken or Goosey... :lol:

It's a very well done piece of work that clip. He did some work with Top Gear I think. I like WRC but don't find it as interesting (from a personal view) since Richard Burns and Colin McRae passed away.

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Has that glorified shoe salesman actually won anything yet?

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tim (Scotland) said:
Has that glorified shoe salesman actually won anything yet?
We Americans believe anything is possible. Qualifications be damned (just look at the two most recent Presidents we've elected). Even our cobbled together soccer team pulled off an upset win at the WC. So I say hell yes, there's no reason our shoe salesman can't become WRC champion one day. :D

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Perhaps he better concentrate more on winning rallies than on making videos for YaTube.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Tim (Scotland) said:
Perhaps he better concentrate more on winning rallies than on making videos for YaTube.
He is a master of marketing and this is doing wonders for DC, as well as (now) Ford. Americans latch on to the flash in the pan (ever seen our TV programs?) for better or worse. WRC crediblity or not, I like to watch these outrageous cars no matter who is driving them. Youtube "group B rally" and have your socks knocked off.

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
MFND said:
He is a master of marketing and this is doing wonders for DC,
Thanks for proving my point.

And all the guys going balls out in the forest had, if they were lucky, one practice run.
They were/are driving against the terrain and against the clock.
They didn't spend days practicing every single corner.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tim (Scotland) said:
MFND said:
He is a master of marketing and this is doing wonders for DC,
Thanks for proving my point.

And all the guys going balls out in the forest had, if they were lucky, one practice run.
They were/are driving against the terrain and against the clock.
They didn't spend days practicing every single corner.
So I'm not sure what your point is. Even if he's not the best rally driver in the WRC, he's giving the sport some exposure over here in the US that it never had. That's good for the sport I would think?

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
My point?

My point is that Ken Block only wants you to think he's cool so you'll buy his shoes.
He hasn't always wanted to be a rally driver, he didn't start as a teenager and he doesn't seem dedicated.
He's found out quite late in life that he has some driving talent and he's decided to use it to his advantage.
He's gonna be the cool guy in the race suit driving the loud car sideways.
So you can buy his shoes.

However he's not good enough.
He's going to events, he might do well and he might not (40% DNF rate in North America) but he's not getting enough publicity.
He's been the cool guy in the race suit driving the loud car sideways but he's been doing that in a field of cool guys in race suits driving loud cars sideways.
He's made a few pathetic attempts at the WRC - seven starts (out of 44 rallys) in three seasons over a 4 year period with two DNFs and a best result of 18th.
But as he's not getting on the podium all the time and becoming rally champion Ken Block he's resorted to other means.

He's decided to become Ken Block - YouTube sensation.
But unlike all those other YouTube sensations who mess about in their own homes and become world famous overnight, Ken is actually putting serious effort into each one of those videos.
Looking at the video above, he's practiced that entrance run, he's practiced the drift, he's practiced the spin in a box, he practiced the Segway spin, he's practiced every little bit.
I reckon that every 10-15 seconds of that video equates to at least two hours (if not two days) of practice.
Then the time with the directors and the DPs.
Then the test shots.
Then the filming (take after take) for each 10-15 seconds of video.
Then all the editing.
I'd hazard a guess that, much like a hollywood car chase, that 7 minute video took at least three weeks to make.

Now, compare that 7 minute video to a seven minute rally stage.
The driver might have had a practice run when the roads were open(but might not have).
The driver has to go all out for seven minutes with a chap reading notes for directions.
The route might have been messed up by other drivers.
There's almost no safety barriers.
A seven minute rally stage takes seven minutes, not the three weeks that a seven minute Ken Block video takes.
And then the drivers have to do it again four, five or even ten times that day.
And then again for another two or three days.
With limited servicing between stages.
Real rally drivers have the competition of the other drivers.
A real rally driver does the equivalent of at least 5 Ken Block videos a day.

If Ken Block was a rally driver, Ken Block would actually turn up to events in the championship he's supposed to be contesting.
And not be making films all the time.

I'm not even convinced he's that good a driver.
Russ Swift (former rally driver and autotest champion) does the same sort of exhibition driving. But Russ will drive anything (Mini/MINI, Evo, Defender, 13ton truck or whatever he gets the keys to) at motor shows product launches etc in front of the public rather than in polished, slickly-produced videos on the web.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Holy Shakespeare Batman!! 8-0=

Btw, that was more than a point. :D

I didn't mean to start transatlantic trouble here, honestly. And I don't know Ken Block from anyone, I just know he's given rallying some exposure over here. ...especially since we can't pronounce all those Finnish names very well.

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
It is Hollywood, it is a commercial. No doubt. But it could be Tom Hanks in the dang car and I would watch it. I'll never drive a full on fire breathing WRC car, but I can watch someone else do it and enjoy the heck out of it. (I enjoy watching the Ford Sierra RS 500 myself)

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Uh...oh
[youtube:jd0zb50c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buuDgLRWCps&feature=player_embedded[/youtube:jd0zb50c]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts