Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all -- I bought a 1994 RR County SWB V8 about a month ago. This is my first RR. I love it! And there is so much that is mysterious about it.... for instance, some of the buttons that should make various things happen do not depress. I press them and nothing happens -- they don't stay down/depressed and they don't light up.

The ones that don't work include: front windshield defogger, heated seats (passenger and driver), cruise control, electronic air suspension, (there may be more)

The ones that do work include: fog lights (which are hooked up to newer brights), rear defogger, and overhead cabin lights.

Anybody have any thoughts/suggestions?

·
RIP Our Friend
27,834 Posts
Well if they don;t press of course they won;t light up. You have to have movement and a complete circuit for it to light up as active. Now if you actually mean they don;t light up as far as dash lights, maybe the micro bulbs are burnt out. Easy to replace, readily available through Atlantic British. It could be the switches are either broken or filthy. Remove them, disassemble and clean. It may sound odd, but these can get so cruddy they are simply frozen up with filth.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Hi all -- I bought a 1994 RR County SWB V8 about a month ago. This is my first RR. I love it! And there is so much that is mysterious about it.... for instance, some of the buttons that should make various things happen do not depress. I press them and nothing happens -- they don't stay down/depressed and they don't light up.

The ones that don't work include: front windshield defogger, heated seats (passenger and driver), cruise control, electronic air suspension, (there may be more)

The ones that do work include: fog lights (which are hooked up to newer brights), rear defogger, and overhead cabin lights.

Anybody have any thoughts/suggestions?
Welcome to Rover ownership! HAHAHA.

Well..... from the ones you are listing--- Whats the condition of your truck? If just an average, wear and tear truck with over 120k on it.... chances are the air suspension has been deactivated, and it is sitting on coil springs. Cruise control hoses are likely perished, and not working, heated seats are the most likely to not work, unless somebody has repaired them. There is a possibility that the windshield was replaced and the previous owner did not put in a heated replacement.

Also--- the air suspension buttons, front windshield, and Maybe cruise control (i cant remember exactly) do not stay depressed when pushed.

Its too bad you did not post this a week ago, as there was a big vermont rover event, and i was in town, among a ton of other enthusiasts! We were in manchester for the weekend.

·
RIP Our Friend
27,834 Posts
I believe he was describing that they do not push at all, so it wouldn't matter if the functions actually work or not. For instance the EAS button would still depress if his rig were on coils, The cruise button would still operate if the vacuum hoses were gone... In addition it wouldn;t matter if the switches are latching or nonlatching switches if they do not press at all.

Of course I am working on the assumption there are actual switches in those positions with logos on them. It would make for a great club meet story if they were blanking plates because those accessories were not fitted. :lol:

·
Registered
372 Posts
I believe he was describing that they do not push at all, so it wouldn't matter if the functions actually work or not. For instance the EAS button would still depress if his rig were on coils, The cruise button would still operate if the vacuum hoses were gone... In addition it wouldn;t matter if the switches are latching or nonlatching switches if they do not press at all.

Of course I am working on the assumption there are actual switches in those positions with logos on them. It would make for a great club meet story if they were blanking plates because those accessories were not fitted. :lol:
Ah yes, and i was interpreting that the OP was able to press the buttons, but they do not stay down, like the dome light for instance... you press it, it stays until you press again to turn off... the buttons he mentioned all just press and do not stay down, and whether they have bad micro bulbs, bad wiring (like a pulled relay or fuse) or further is too hard to tell.... but that being said... many of the classics i see these luxury features do not work, unless they have been recently repaired.... but thats just my personal exp... :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah, I'm sorry I missed the event in Manchester! The RR is in pretty great shape for its age. It has a rebuilt engine with 4,000 miles, all new brakes, and good maintenance records -- however, it's still nearly 25 years old, after all.

The buttons that don't work don't "catch" -- I press them and they don't engage, I guess is the best way to put it. Other buttons do work (like the overhead light and fog lights) -- I press them, they stay down and the thing that they are supposed to make happen happens.

·
RIP Our Friend
27,834 Posts
Ahhh, so they do depress, they just don;t catch. That is not a switch issue then. These are circuits that have an ECU or different type of relay involved. Example: When you depress the cruise switch it is a non latching switch. Pressing the button sends a signal to the Cruise ECU to turn on the vacuum pump, read the set button and somewhere in there is sends an illumination power supply back to the switch to turn the active light on.

For latching switches there is always power running through the switch. For fog lights the switch stays latched and provides the signal for the fog light relay to close which provides power to the fog bulbs. The active light on that type of switch/circuit is built into the switch.

·
Registered
372 Posts
yea - thats what i thought you meant. Now... best way to help is to break down these individual issues.

1- air suspension. I would go on a limb and say you air suspension is no longer in the truck. chances are somebody down the line swapped it out. If not, those switches would be actuating it. And the person selling it to you, would have been very proud to sell you a truck with working air suspension.

2- heated seats - those typically do not work in anyones rover that I know, unless they have been recently repaired. They can be fixed, just takes some time and patience, and i would think the PO would have told you they work, because it is so rare to find them in working condition.

3 - the rest of those issues could require a deeper dive into why they might not be working... as toad described the cruise is a pretty simple system but most rovers these days, the vacuum pump or rubber hoses are worn and leak... and it doesn't work... front windshield... could be what i thought earlier... or something else... hard to say.

if you want to look into it yourself, i recommend downloading rave. its pinned at the top of the forum.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Well for a start, the front windshield and air suspension outer two buttons don't latch. The windshield button should operate a relay (listen for a click in the footwell side panels) but it should light up. The centre air suspension button latches, the outer two don't but they all should light up once operated.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.