RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On and off over the last week I've been working on solving some squeaks and rattles around the dash area on our '06 RRS. Hopefully this info can be of help, but unfortunately the only pics I have are of the cat climbing around on the seats. Looking at various posts I was able to gather enough info to pull things apart. The worst part are the clips that fall into the abyss.

- Seatbelt cover on seat bottoms. Light caulk around edges(let sit before assembly - see below).
- Top grey shifter piece. Removed gearshift, then center section that contains the switches/lights. There are 2 clips on each side and 2 on the back. Watch they will probably fall in the center somewhere. I recovered most clips by pulling out the center side panel near the carpet. Once the center section is removed, the black shift gate can be unsnapped and the assembly taken apart. I applied the silicon around the edges.
- Main center console - front/bottom. There is a "post" on the center console the rests on a "shelf" just under the AC controls. I found that this post had extra plastic as part of the forming process that may not have been filed off. I used a Dremel to knock this area back flat, then applied silicon.

I didn't have felt tape, so I used silicon very sparingly. In wear and contact areas, I would apply the silicon very lightly, then let the piece sit for a few hours.

My hockey stick wood had very sharp edges near the front inside of the console. While I had the center console apart I removed the wood pieces and sanded back these edges. It has a much nicer appearance and no worries about the sharp edges - they really were bad. Maybe an early production issue?? It's a late '05 build.

While in there I also removed the center cooler box and unhooked the Nokia phone cradle. Now I can turn the center tray upside down on top of the cooler box.

So far with driving around there have been no rattles or squeaks. May also be due to the warmer weather, but the center console area would make noise even when warm. The entire center console also feels more solid - before while driving with your hand on the various pieces you could feel them move.

There are a few to tackle from the rear seat area but that's another time.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
670 Posts
Thanks geflackt , so basically you're using the silicone caulk as a gasket to avoid plastic to plastic contact instead of felt tape?

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rafa said:
Thanks geflackt , so basically you're using the silicone caulk as a gasket to avoid plastic to plastic contact instead of felt tape?
Pretty much! I didn't have the tape. If I had the tape, I would have probably sanded down the area along where the tape would be placed. That way the tape wouldn't create extra stress due to the thickness. I spread the caulk very thinly with my finger. I don't want it getting squished out. Also, I applied caulk to the front top lip of the large center console piece. This edge may come in contact with the AC panel as there was a piece of felt here in the center about an inch long. I actually taped off the console when applying the caulk to create a nice line because I didn't want to see it when the console was back together.

I don't know what the long term will be like with the caulk. I just happened to be using a 3-hour caulk for putting snow guards on my garage roof, so it was handy!! Who knows - the caulk will probably stain or eat through the plastic - but not likely!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts