RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, New member, new owner of 1999 P38a bosch motronic. I live in Jogja, Indonesia.

I would like to share how happy I am to have solved the airbag fault. The SRS light had been on since I bought Rovi, the name we gave it, 1 month ago. I read the many threads of airbag issues in the forum. Very very helpful. Finally, this afternoon I have enough courage to tackle it. I don’t have diagnostic scanner but from reading the forum I planned to check under seats, under dash, and steering connections.

First I disconnected the battery. Then worked on cables under seats. all looks ok and tight. I then worked on the dash and steering. Removed all panels, checked cables and connection (unplug, squirt with contact cleaner, and replug). I also removed the instrument cluster, checked the bulbs (look ok) and cleaned the contact seats.

Next, I squirted a lot of contact cleaner into the rotary coupling, without removing it, only through the little gap in the rotary coupling, at the same time moving the steering wheel left and right, left and right as far as I can, not forcing too much.

Put everything back together, reconnected the battery. Started the engine. Voila... the SRS light went out after the bulb check, no Airbag Fault message on the display. So, I am pretty sure the fault is gone, although not sure which component now behaves as it should after the unplugging-replugging and contact cleaner sguirting.

Hope other newbies can be inspired and encouraged to try too.

Also, air suspension seal kit arrived today from UK. So, next will be collecting courage to rebuild compressor and valve block. Pfeww..

Rui
RR P38a 1999 4.6 V8
Jogja, Indonesia

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
289 Posts
Just curious, is a P38 considered to be anything special in Indonesia? What do they sell for?
Which compressor seal kit did you buy?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
P38a is very special and very rare here. I bought it for app 13K USD. Price of any car is very high here because of the tax.

I bought the air seal kit from 4x4airseals off Ebay.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts