RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have recently re-built my valve block and compressor. I note that on reassembly one of the solenoid tops is leaking

but when I remove the top the leak goes, even with the solenoid covered in soapy solution.

This happens without the compressor running and the system sat at normal height. I have checked and re-checked all o-rings internally on each solenoid and none are pinched. BUT only one solenoid top had the square -oring around its base. Are these needed at all?

I think the front solenoid is the feed FROM the tank but cant find a list anywhere of colour codes or port numbers relating to where the pipes go.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,491 Posts
Same thing on mine. I did replace it with another non leaking.
I believe it's the tank one too.

·
Registered
931 Posts
offroadbaz said:
Hi,

I have recently re-built my valve block and compressor. I note that on reassembly one of the solenoid tops is leaking

but when I remove the top the leak goes, even with the solenoid covered in soapy solution.

This happens without the compressor running and the system sat at normal height. I have checked and re-checked all o-rings internally on each solenoid and none are pinched. BUT only one solenoid top had the square -oring around its base. Are these needed at all?

I think the front solenoid is the feed FROM the tank but cant find a list anywhere of colour codes or port numbers relating to where the pipes go.
I have received the rebuild kit from Dennis recently and am due to overhaul the block as well.Curious,what is the point of the cover and how did it cause the solenoid to leak by fitting on the cover? :think:

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,491 Posts
I guess that removing the cover works like removing electricity feed so it doesn't leak anymore.
It isn't the cover that is at fault but the little part under that you didn't remove yet.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
the forward most valve is the exhaust valve, it serves to hold air in the header when the inlet is open (inlet is the next in line). There normally isn't pressure on that valve, so your tank valve or non-return valves are leaking by slightly, normally not a big problem. - you can remove that valve without losing tank pressure, but it makes me think that's maybe not where your leak is.

if it is the exhaust valve, the valve is leaking where the metal stem goes into the plastic block, when you put the cover on it puts a slight pressure on the stem and makes it leak, with the cover off push/pull on that metal stem and the leak will re-appear. either a pinched oring or a crack in the plastic on the thin lip that compresses the small oring.

The oring on top of the plastic block (only oring visible in the above photos) serves the same function as the square seal at the bottom of the solenoid. The diaphragm control valve (blue wires) is the only one that comes from the factory with the square seal, as it's a different design valve with a different function (needs to vent to 0 psi with no force of airsprings behind it), it's mainly a dust-seal for the diaphragm control valve.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the prompt and informative reply Dennis. I did give the stem a wiggle from side to side but didnt push it down. Its dark and raining here now but I shall give it a go in the morning. Hopefully I can find a local source for these individually.

Regards

Lucas

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
offroadbaz said:
Thanks for the prompt and informative reply Dennis. I did give the stem a wiggle from side to side but didnt push it down. Its dark and raining here now but I shall give it a go in the morning. Hopefully I can find a local source for these individually.

Regards

Lucas
no problem, they're not available new anywhere that I can find. I've got several used but it'll be a few days in the post going across the pond.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok I went to it again this morning and sprayed and wiggled some more before I saw this.

I dried the inside of the solenoid and no more bubbles. In the interests of science I sprayed some more water up there and it began bubbling away like a glass of lemonade. This little bubble factory was causing the bubbles to appear when mounted on the valve block.....

I am no chemist or physicist but is this caused by the solenoid being energised all the time ??

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
WOW

not seen that before.... The solenoid isn't constantly energized, only when lowering the rover. Chemical reaction maybe??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts