RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After putting in $10,000 in repairs this year I sold my 2008 Range Rover. I loved that car and thought I would miss it but I bought a Lexus RX instead. Now I have owned two MKIII's and also one Lexus LS460. I wasn't sure at first but I was sick of the sinking investment. What I will tell you is that I love my new RX. Everything is so much easier from parking, stopping, acceleration and tons more. I love it.

My Range Rover was great looking but has all of the problems surface this year. If you are looking at buying one of these, have $15,000 - $20,000 in repair money set aside. There will be massive bills.

So long my friends. Maybe in another 10 years :)

·
Registered
420 Posts
After putting in $10,000 in repairs this year I sold my 2008 Range Rover. I loved that car and thought I would miss it but I bought a Lexus RX instead. Now I have owned two MKIII's and also one Lexus LS460. I wasn't sure at first but I was sick of the sinking investment. What I will tell you is that I love my new RX. Everything is so much easier from parking, stopping, acceleration and tons more. I love it.

My Range Rover was great looking but has all of the problems surface this year. If you are looking at buying one of these, have $15,000 - $20,000 in repair money set aside. There will be massive bills.

Don’t ever buy a Rover w/o a warranty or keep it past warranty expiration. BUMPER TO BUMPER. Not just power train. It’s not enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
229 Posts

You'll be back!...lol!... once you realize utility items are not investments due to depreciation.... personal cars should not be viewed as an investment but rather as a tool that helps you get by at a cost... you would have had a much less "jaundiced" view had you made that mental adjustment , see... if you view your t-shirt as an investment everytime it rips when you wear it will have the exact same mental effect on you , you will run off and buy a different colored t-shirt hoping it is a better "investment" as opposed to a utility tool. happy new years... enjoy your new t- shirt/ investment lol! Come on ddmk!

·
Registered
229 Posts
i view my car as a utility item.. i use it as such , it provides me a service of which i pay for in maintenance... if i viewed it as an investment that was supposed to yield returns i would have been comitted into a mental ward by now due to severe debilitating depression.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I don't see where the OP said he considered his truck an investment. I think he was talking about the cost of ownership.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
exactly a sinking investment vs a depreciating asset (rapidly) which you still enjoy

·
Registered
537 Posts
Wouldn't be my choice to swap to something so bland, but each to their own. In thirty odd years of Land Rover ownership i've never had any real problems. In fact the other makes of cars i have have cost about the same over time to maintain.
Still good luck and hope it's not just a honeymoon period.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I’d like to know the income of those who continue spending more annually on their Rovers than they could ever sell it for. Do you get to set aside all logic after $150k, $200k because the vehicle is just small potatoes? LOL

·
Registered
229 Posts
I’d like to know the income of those who continue spending more annually on their Rovers than they could ever sell it for. Do you get to set aside all logic after $150k, $200k because the vehicle is just small potatoes? LOL

If you are spending $200k on your vehicle you have a terrible lemon , Besides regular maintenance there are no major issues on my part... thats why i am ok with spending a bit to enjoy my ride... if you find yourself spending $10k/month on it then perhaps you have a terrible vehicle on your hands , there are other factors to add to those who have such issues.. most times they bought the car from a previous owner that really messed it up. If you bought a sound car, with sound maintance schedules and sound driving habits you should not be spending $200k on it just to keep it on the road.

·
Registered
420 Posts
If you are spending $200k on your vehicle you have a terrible lemon , Besides regular maintenance there are no major issues on my part... thats why i am ok with spending a bit to enjoy my ride... if you find yourself spending 10/month on it then perhaps you have a terrible vehicle on your hands , there are other factors to add to those who have such issues.. most times they bought the car from a previous owner that really messed it up. If you bought a sound car, with sound maintance schedules and sound driving habits you should not be spending $200k on it just to keep it on the road.
No I mean $200k annual income

·
Registered
229 Posts
No I mean $200k annual income

Look , the reason we spend is because we continue to enjoy the car , we already have all the programs and tooling to repair it if it breaks , the thing still runs even with the high mileage and it is still reliable. We did not have the misguided"investment" mindset yall have where you actually think you will make money on it after using it for ten years.
If you are a car salesman then i get it , you are trained to think that the car is solely an invesment where you buy it for the purpose of flipping it for a profit.

I am an engineer and a businessman , i bought my car because i wanted a vehicle that could go on long range all weather journeys without breaking my back while towing heavy loads.
I did not think of it as an invesment to make me money i thought of it as a utility tool for transportation and i have/had no intention to ever sell it.
So it still runs , ocassional problem here and there, you fix it and ride on... I dont plan on selling it for any reason.. rather i will drive until the wheels fall of THEN i will pop out my wallet and buy another when that time comes... thats the mind set i have.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Bought the car ten years ago for $10k.. it's probably worth less than half that now if i did sell with it's current mileage but why would i?
it is still fun to drive and has no major issues.. so whats the point of selling it? fear it will break? look cool in a new car? The car is awesome! why think of selling just because it threw a code? or smoked a little for a week? come on....as an engineer i roll up my sleeves and go into problem solving mode.. find the issue fix it and keep going..

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sound like my wife. Very high maintenance; probably 30k a year, but I have stuck with her because I love her and the way she looks. I knew when I married her; it was going to be that way; did you? It's all over the paper; "Rovers will empty your bank accounts" just like JAPs "Jewish American princesses," and I still married her :) You have to be a sucker, I guess. I've had my RR for six years. Spent 9k on "things" 9k/72 months = $125 month; not a bad investment; spent more on my teeth!

I can't get excited about driving a Lexus, but each to his own. Maybe just the English in me :)

·
Registered
454 Posts
Sound like my wife. Very high maintenance; probably 30k a year, but I have stuck with her because I love her and the way she looks. I knew when I married her; it was going to be that way; did you? It's all over the paper; "Rovers will empty your bank accounts" just like JAPs "Jewish American princesses," and I still married her :) You have to be a sucker, I guess. I've had my RR for six years. Spent 9k on "things" 9k/72 months = $125 month; not a bad investment; spent more on my teeth!

I can't get excited about driving a Lexus, but each to his own. Maybe just the English in me :)
I am always saying
Dont complain about 2 things
Your wife and your car
Your choice

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,197 Posts
BooHoo, I had to fix my junk.....Or more likely had a shop fix it.
Oh no, I don't have a "bumper to bumper warranty", just shoot me now....
What a crock. This forum was made for guys who work on their own stuff, not cry about it.
If you look at a daily driven car as investment, no amount of reasoning will fix that level of stupid. It's a tool for transportation, not a 401k
If you think every Rover needs a warranty to be affordable, you need to stick to your new junk and not be here trying to flog your particular brand of bull.
Some of us here, the majority it used to be, kinda enjoy working on our own stuff and making an otherwise not affordable luxury rig, affordable. I certainly enjoy our collection of Rovers, and can't imagine getting into owning some bland and boring Jap import. I work on imports and domestics, and they are no easier to fix than the wife's '11 SC, my LSx powered P38, or our D2 on 37's.

Some need to pull their head out and learn instead of touting their BS on here.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,197 Posts
Certainly not a little research huh?

We paid $7500 for the wife's '11SC nearly two years ago.
2 new bags on the front struts, pads all round and a good service when we got it, another grand maybe.
Just did the timing chains, phasers, tensioners etc, and rebuilt the supercharger, another $3k, maybe (I didnt keep track).
So besides oil changes and maintenance, I've sunk MAYBE $4k into a rig that we could sell tomorrow for @$15k. So a few grand ahead by my numbers.
Trick is, work on them yourself, or learn how to, and get on with life.
Only way a '08 could cost me $10k in under a year is if it needed a new motor and all the eas replacing. I think I'd still have change though
Hopefully the guy that bought it has a little more knowledge. Certainly couldn't be less IMHO

What did you spend $10k on .....

·
Registered
39 Posts
Bits and pieces. Airbags twice: the first shop used reconditioned. Had transmission repaired. 2 sets of brakes and rotors. Replaced the AC condenser. oil changes, plugs, etc. That's it. Been pretty lucky. All worth the pride of ownership.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,197 Posts
I think he was asking the OP mate.......;)

Bits and pieces. Airbags twice: the first shop used reconditioned. Had transmission repaired. 2 sets of brakes and rotors. Replaced the AC condenser. oil changes, plugs, etc. That's it. Been pretty lucky. All worth the pride of ownership.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts