RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

My windshield cracked this past weekend during one of our noreasters and I made an appointment to replace it. I stated that it was a solar attenuating windshield even though my RRS did not originally come with one. I have a black RRS with black interior so I thought the solar attenuating windshield might cut down on some of the heat and fading over the next years. Does anyone foresee any issues with adding the solar attenuating windshield as opposed to the original windshield ? Any issues with sensors/cameras specifically ?

Thanks in advance,

Alex

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Windshield doesn’t affect dash cams. You will need to use the cut outs at the top for radar detectors and toll readers.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,705 Posts
HDog is dead on. it is not the composition, screening or films that impact anything. Use the provided cut outs for radar bits, cameras etc.

heated windscreens have NEVER been an issue for anything electronic in nature. It's nothing more than little tiny wires only active during a timed heating period. the rest of the time the micro wires impede nothing. No signals, no input of radar, camera signal etc.

Solar attenuating film is nothing more than a UV block tinting. It does ZERO to block the rain sensor, auto dim, radar detectors or road cameras... and you still have the same provided cutouts for electronics.

·
Registered
212 Posts
my only general concern with the heated screen would be paying for nothing, if the OPs vehicle isn't wired (console button missing) for it. Not that it would conflict with cameras etc.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,705 Posts
wow, not sure where that came from. Just making the point that most items in the windscreen department are never the issue. Paying for nothing? i'd much rather have a heated screen over relying on a a hot air blow job on the inside of the glass to keep my visibility open. :roll:

·
Registered
212 Posts
and how would one take advantage of the heated glass if the truck isn't wired for it? It's also a valid issue worth consideration when choosing which glass to replace with.

Wow, seems you've missed the point. :roll:

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,705 Posts
rigs without heated wind screens are thankfully rare and far between since it was factory original equipment on nas models since 1994. Folks in the US and Canada have not had to worry about iced or frosted visibility in ages. if you are replacing glass, replace it with like so you don;t have to lower yourself on cold frosty mornings.

So no, i did not at all miss the point, I made the point with no need for uncalled for trolling.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for the timely replies. I will go for the UV tint on the windscreen with the electric defroster. I currently do have the electric defroster so that wasn't what concerned me. I was worried that there were some other issues with the UV tint on my currently non-UV tinted windshield RRS. Again, thanks everyone for your knowledge and advice.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just went through looking for windshield options for my 2014 RR Sport HSE
Original windshield per vin was LR061421 (with heated) I didn't like the wires or he heating element and I wanted infrared, so I got
LR07495 without heated and with infrared.

LR061420 is plain without heat, without infrared
LR061421 is heated
LR061422 = LR076495 infrared
LR061423 = LR076496 heat and infrared
LR052672 HUD
LR06051 HUD an infrared
(all have acoustic interlayer)

Infrared reflective windscreen was option code 047AH "a fine metallic coating made up of several layers of titanium and silver to create an infrared reflective
coating, keeping the vehicle cooler in hot conditions"

P.S. Went with OE Land Rover brand as Pilkington told me they do not make an aftermarket equivalent

1 - 11 of 11 Posts