RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently shattered my tailgate window on the trail. (backed into a tree)<----- STUPID. Instead of paying $550.00 for replacement glass. I have found some one who is going to install a Jeep style soft rear window, using the existing tail gate frame. I also plan on removing just the roof, (in between the roof rack railing only) and get him to do a removable soft top. Will probably get some type of roll bar or cage made once I cut the roof out. I will post pics of the rear window this week end, as I am getting that done on friday. I hope it turns out as good as I imagine it will. I also have my GBR front drive shaft for the new lift i am putting on. OME 764 Passenger side springs for the front and OME 762 Drivers side for the rear. I will be upgrading my tires to BFGM/T255/85/16 I currently am running Rovertyme RR4-2 springs/ OME 176 shocks in the front and Rovertyme RR1-2 springs/ OME 177 shocks in the rear. Tires currently running BFGM/T235/85/16
Height from the ground to bottom center of the wheel well is 34.5" in the front and 35.5 in the rear.(<----supposed to be a 2" lift kit) With the new set up it should be 38" in the front and 39 in the rear. Basically i will have an almost exact replica of Allen Bates P38(RockRover.com)

Brian

Attachments

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,491 Posts
Hi,
Could be nice but what about your roof rack?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
996TURBO said:
Hi, Could be nice but what about your roof rack?
i will be keeping the roof rack on. I want to remove the roof (in between) the rails the roof rack fits into. It will be like a full size sun roof, only cloth. I like the roof rack and will figure out a way to keep it.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,491 Posts
nuyorican420 said:
Somthing Like this?
Or like some Mercedes ML with multiples glass parts that goes very far in the back

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nuyorican420 said:
Somthing Like this?
something like this. I would like to be able to remove it completely, not have it bunch up in the rear.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,491 Posts
That's a great idea. Go for it!
I love heavy mods :thumb:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
TerryY said:
Something aftermarket like this? http://www.slidingragtops.com/
Yeah, I kind of like that. it doesn't bunch up a lot in the back when it is open. We'll see what happens. I hope it looks as good in person as it does in my head. :think:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
no, I have not see it. do you have a pic or a link to a pic of it. I wold like to see it.
Brian

·
Registered
494 Posts
it's on youtube and if you go to britpart's website they have pics and vids of it too. someday i'll have one of those badboys! can't wait to buy a range classic and sup it up! here's the youtube link and there's a couple pics of it on their site and in their catalouge.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65qsX34FdYo

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
here's how it turned out. I just need to do a little finishing, but over all I am happy with it. :thumb:
Pay no attention to all the trail dings/dents. Just means I use it.

Attachments

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,491 Posts
Looks good.
It gives a custom - expedition look that i love. Be sure that highly modified disco owners will no longer look at the P38 as an error of path.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
it is not pretty by any means when it is off. Those of you that have had the back window off know that there is a 2 inch wide void in the sides of the upper tail gate from. I have mine covered with black gorilla tape for now. Might try to wrap a piece of convertible top fabric around the sides of the upper tail gate. But for now it works. People I have wheeled with are always shocked when I tell them that i'm not locked I only have rear traction control. I think every fender and door has some sort of ding, dent, scratch, or any combination of the 3. I love beating this thing up. It keeps going and going.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
777 Posts
Hey man, looks good. Mine's got this awesome lock issue where it just locks and unlocks constantly while driving. I've been using the other car lately. Hope to get it out on some trails in the fall.

Wrapping it with cloth might be ideal for helping to seal it too. How's it do for noise and exhaust?

·
Registered
494 Posts
let's face it. you made the best of the situation. i happen to like it alot. i think it was tastefully done and serves utility. naturally it's not going to prevent break ins and temperature severity up or down, but glass won't really either when those forces are dedicated. defogging it will be fun...
i find it badass. as far as the gaps go i'm sure there's some sort of filler for them that will provide minimal aesthetic disruption. knowing me i'd find foam that width and lay it in there. as you wheel hardcore, most of the people who see it up close are going to be the types who aren't judging that small defect. :thumb: you just increased your cargo area markedly. you can haul all kinds of crap and have it sticking out the back. like lumber!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts