RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a read through a couple of topics covering interior light problems but I think they must be different on a soft dash to the proper classics.
My interior dome / puddle lights don't come on when you open the doors. The door switches are OK (I have tested them, if you hold a button then set the alarm, release the button again the alarm goes off (same is true for the bonnet and tailgate)). They work ok from the switch so I have been looking for the timer relay so I can clean or replace it.
Does anybody know where it is?!?! I can't find it under the steering column (or under the cardboard but that covers the peddle pivots), behind either of the bits of plastic trim that cover the inner wings or behind the passenger side glove box in the relay block.
Rave doesn't mention a timer relay but talks about the "Multi Function Unit" but doesn't say where that is either.
This is getting REALLY annoying!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi Terry,
The Multi Function Unit (MFU) is attached to the back of the main fuse box, behind the hinged panel under the steering wheel. I don't think it's a repairable part but it should be quite easy to check if it's the MFU that's at fault.
It works by applying a ground to the puddle/interior lamp lighting circuit so if you ground the negative side of the puddle lamp itself, the light should come on. If the light doesn't come on you know the problem is with the wiring or the fuse, not the MFU.
Also, the Left Hand Puddle lamp and door lamp are on the same circuit as the clock so if the clock's illuminated and the left hand puddle lamps aren't then the fuse is OK and the issue is most likely the MFU
Hope that helps
Simon

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that, i went outside and put my hand behind the fusebox to see if i could feel anything and the lights came on. must be a dodgy joint behind there somewhere.
That must be the cheapest fix i have done on the thing so far :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts