RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. As part of my restoration project, I need to give my steel wheels a birthday.
I have been looking at getting a soda blaster for the job as well as for cleaning a whole host of other bits and pieces.
Have any of you used this kit and if so would you be good enough to give some feedback on it's effectiveness, costs and any issues?
Thanks.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Soda blasting is a very gentle and non-abrasive type of blasting. It is more expensive as a medium than sand. For steel wheels sand blasting will be quicker and cheaper. I think you can change medium (might need to change nozzle or something) certainly I would look at the medium options when you buy your blasting equipment.

Blasting is terribly messy and noisy (unless you also have a large chamber thing). You also need a lot of air! For sure you would rig up, do as much as you can and then end up spending the same time again to clean it all up again. The dust and grit ends up everywhere including in any open machinery and creates havoc. Best to do blasting as far away from your shop as possible, somewhere way out back.

In some (most) countries (commercial) blasting is not allowed in the open air. It might be easier to find a good place that can do some blasting for you and then just use wire brush for smaller parts. Of course entirely your choice.

·
Registered
976 Posts
First I have never heard of soda blasting.., and I’m just throwing this out there.... Several years ago I was on a job site and they were blasting old metal... they were useing dry ice to do the blasting... so after the ice evaporated all that was left was the old paint... it was something I had not heard of before also.. but was very cool... literally... lol

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick reply and good advice guys.
I have been reading a bit more about it since posting.
JS5D, the media use can be expensive for larger items as you say and might be painfully slow if I only have a small unit. Sandblasting sounds too messy to entertain.
Thinking about it, I might not have too much use for the kit after doing the wheels. Maybe it will end up being just another item cluttering up my already overcrowded shed.
From the sound of it, it might be best if I get the wheels blasted by a workshop shop that specializes in this for a one off cost and hand clean my smaller items.
Mikieman, nice pun!! . Do a bit of googling on soda blasting and you will see why it appealed to me in the first place.
Thanks again guys. it does clear your head listening to other points of view.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts