RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm about to pick up an extra set of 16" 3-spoke alloy rims for my 86 RRC Highline, so I can switch up summer and winter tyres. I also need to replace the hubs on my offroad trailer, and get an electric axle made up for a vintage caravan I'm customising. Obviously it's tempting to fit Rangie hubs throughout, so I can use the 'off-season' tyres on the trailers and get more value out of less wheels.

Trouble is my Classic is unlikely to live forever, so I'm curious whether any other vehicles share the same wheel fitment? Are the same hubs found on later Rangies, or Discos or Defenders? If they are unique to the Classic then I might think about going with a more common hub instead, but I quite like the 3-spoke Rangie wheels and if there are a few compatibility options it tips the balance towards doing it.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Fermer.

The only other vehicle I know of which uses the same 'PCD' like our Classics is the F-350 Heavy Duty ? The only major issue is these trucks use an "8 lug" pattern !

You could go to a wreckers and pickup complete used rear F-350 axles which are appropriate and drill another group of Five hole stud patterns and match the bore.

Cheerio,

Vinniman
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,390 Posts
fermenter said:
Trouble is my Classic is unlikely to live forever, so I'm curious whether any other vehicles share the same wheel fitment? Are the same hubs found on later Rangies, or Discos or Defenders?.
Defender, Series 3 Land Rover, Discovery 1 - 6.5" PCD and 33mm offset

Not Disco 2 or later and not P38A or later which use a different PCD and offset.

You might have trouble sourcing trailer hubs with 5 stud x 6.5" PCD. I do have a pair on my shelf just in case I build a trailer.

You might be able to get undrilled hubs and have LR studs fitted to them. Alternatively, make up an axle that can have Land Rover hubs bolted on to it.

Another option which may or may not be legal is to use the whole rear axle from a RRC (diff and axles removed of course). You'd need to convert the hubs to grease filled but that's easy if you use the later oil seals. Usually, one converts the later cars to have oil-lubed (by the diff oil) bearings.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I could fit LR series III steel rims onto the Rangie with no modifications (and Rangie alloys onto the series III)? If so then it sounds like there are a few options to play with.

The hubs aren't too hard to source, the place that makes the axles offers them for about AUD$40 more than a regular 6-stud hub.

For the trailer I was thinking of going with a used RRC axle, but I was quoted AUD$450 from my local parts bloke and a new electric axle won't be much dearer, especially if I get both made up at the same time.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,390 Posts
fermenter said:
So I could fit LR series III steel rims onto the Rangie with no modifications (and Rangie alloys onto the series III)? If so then it sounds like there are a few options to play with.

The hubs aren't too hard to source, the place that makes the axles offers them for about AUD$40 more than a regular 6-stud hub.

For the trailer I was thinking of going with a used RRC axle, but I was quoted AUD$450 from my local parts bloke and a new electric axle won't be much dearer, especially if I get both made up at the same time.
SIII wheels will bolt straight on to RRC hubs.

RRC alloys may foul the centre of SIiI hubs.

I've seen complete rear axles with hubs and brakes (no diff) on eBay for A$50. You could buy a complete car for not much more than $450!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bugger. Nobody mentioned the studs :twisted:

I bought some used alloys and I'm getting some new hubs made up for the trailer and the caravan, but I've hit a problem - apparently the special wheelnuts the alloys require are metric, and the hub mfr only offers AF studs.

So I need to find either 20 metric studs and try to get them installed in blank hubs (apparently the splines are different between the metric and imperial studs so no option to just swap them), or I need to get some wheel adaptors that will convert a standard Land Rover pattern to metric studs for the alloys.

Can anyone point me to a good source for either of the above?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts