RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has the supply caught up to demand? They seem to be selling at or very close MSRP these days..even on eBay. Far cry from even a month ago.

·
Premium Member
1,813 Posts
Re: So.. the Range Rover no longer commands a premium does it?

Has the supply caught up to demand? They seem to be selling at or very close MSRP these days..even on eBay. Far cry from even a month ago.
I think the 2014s are not being bought - people are holding out for the 2015s

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts

Read the thread about the frustrating LR sales process. There are several responses in that thread that list the LR dealers around the country that are still trying to get premiums, some mentioned in LA, DC and NYC.

·
Premium Member
1,813 Posts

Read the thread about the frustrating LR sales process. There are several responses in that thread that list the LR dealers around the country that are still trying to get premiums, some mentioned in LA, DC and NYC.
Well, OP seems to have sent in his note from Manhattan, so...

·
Registered
342 Posts

My dealer has already told me he'll buy my 14.5 V8SC back in six months for the same price I bought from him six months ago as a trade for an SVR or any other new vehicle they sell, if mine has got less than 10K miles (only have have 3500 miles on it six months in). That means I'd have been driving it for free for one year by the time I trade it in. From what I see I could probably get a little more for it if I tried to sell it privately, but my dealer was righteous enough not to have charged me over sticker so I'm happy to reciprocate by trading my vehicle in a year later at the same price I bought it for.

·
Registered
699 Posts

All depends on your market.

·
Registered
952 Posts

My dealer has already told me he'll buy my 14.5 V8SC back in six months for the same price I bought from him six months ago as a trade for an SVR or any other new vehicle they sell, if mine has got less than 10K miles (only have have 3500 miles on it six months in). That means I'd have been driving it for free for one year by the time I trade it in. From what I see I could probably get a little more for it if I tried to sell it privately, but my dealer was righteous enough not to have charged me over sticker so I'm happy to reciprocate by trading my vehicle in a year later at the same price I bought it for.
Minus several thousand dollars in tax, don't forget. And another several thousand in tax for your next vehicle. Not exactly a free year.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
201 Posts

Minus several thousand dollars in tax, don't forget. And another several thousand in tax for your next vehicle. Not exactly a free year.
Excellent perspective. The sales tax in DC is 8%, so one is looking at a number north of $9000 for each transaction.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
1,966 Posts

Don't you get a sales tax credit if they bought it high and you only have to pay the difference of the sales tax of the new vehicle.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
201 Posts

Don't you get a sales tax credit if they bought it high and you only have to pay the difference of the sales tax of the new vehicle
Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sales tax credit for prior transactions differs from state to state. I can say in DC there is no credit and it's 8% over anew for each transfer or new registration. It can get pricey!

·
Registered
342 Posts

Sales tax credit for prior transactions differs from state to state. I can say in DC there is no credit and it's 8% over anew for each transfer or new registration. It can get pricey!
It's funny you should say that, I used to live in DC (glover park) before I moved to SC and switching cars every year used to be a huge tax burden. Not any more, SC has a maximum $300 sales tax on any vehicle even if it costs half a mil. Instead you pay annual property tax. So yes there is a tax to pay but it's not prohibitive as far as switching cars as much as you want cause it doesn't have to be paid up front. Let's put it this way, my tax bill for one year of owning the RR is about $1k, iirc in DC it would here been close to $10k up front.

·
Registered
565 Posts

My dealer (Land Rover, North Hills: Wexford, PA) has three Auto's on the floor. One is marketed as a sale (I think $142k on $148k). Having three 2014's when 2015's are hitting the floor is never good. Especially Auto's when the price is not always the most important thing (after all, the existence of a 2015 will begin depreciation of a brand new '14).

·
Registered
165 Posts

Just sold my 2014 HSE with 9200 miles for 10K over MSRP to a private party.

·
Registered
54 Posts

Why did you sell it?

·
Registered
152 Posts

Just sold my 2014 HSE with 9200 miles for 10K over MSRP to a private party.
Congrats. Whoever is saying that lightly used RRs are not commanding a premium is dreaming. There is huge demand for instant gratification - get a nearly new 2014 RR immediately for $10K (HSE) to $30K (Autobiography) over MSRP, or wait 4-6 months for the same car but with 0 miles. Lots of people are choosing not to wait. On top of that, exporters covet the lightly used vehicles because they're MUCH easier to send overseas and still command 2-3x the price of a new one in the U.S.

·
Premium Member
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
903 Posts

If he trades his current truck in for another truck and has to pay a difference of 10k he only needs to pay tax on the difference.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts

If he trades his current truck in for another truck and has to pay a difference of 10k he only needs to pay tax on the difference.
We have to pay 8.5% on the full amount including up charges here in CA every time, it costs about 11% to put a Car on the road.....

·
Registered
201 Posts

Not so in most states. Most require full tax regardless of prior transactions.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts

August sales for JLR were down over 16% combined, Land Rover was down more than 9%. I'd say you can get whatever you want. Looks like the JLR party is over.
That is US YOY sales compared with August 2013. They sold 4489 LR units in the US last month (August), but you're correct, down 9.1% .

At first glance those numbers look bad but they can only sell what they can produce. There are still backorders and a long waiting list.

True, you can get whatever you want as long as you're willing to pay for it, buy a used one or wait a long time.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts