RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, the engine overheated. How to determine if it's more than just a headgasket job

So, I let someone borrow my P38 the other day. Anyhow, long story short, the P38 overheated because the expansion cap was not tightened down properly, and all the coolant was pretty much pushed out as engine warmed up.

As I wasn't in the car or near the car as the car overheated, I don't really know how long the car was running as it was overheating. From the sound of it, though, the car was driven for few minutes even after the car overheated.

Diagnosing the problem now, I can tell that the head gasket is gone from the gas bubbles getting into the expansion tank.

So, before I go forward with paying high price for replacement parts, how can I tell that it's not something more serious, say, like a slipped liner?

Btw, the engine still starts up perfectly.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
883 Posts
Re: So, the engine overheated. How to determine if it's more than just a headgasket

I'll tell you what RRToadHall, Martin, and countless others told me. You won't know until you start stripping it down.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Re: So, the engine overheated. How to determine if it's more than just a headgasket

ill tell you what everyone told me after I've blown 5k on a motor that don't run and leaks. save the head ache, diagnoses, money, and get a fresh one from martin. or buy mine so i can get a fresh one from martin.

tear yours down and part anything out thats still good to cover some of the cost.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
17 Posts

Does it boil when running and the cooling system bled properly

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,521 Posts

Bit late now, but one of the best mods I ever did was to fit a BMW M3 expansion tank which is fitted with a level probe.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,248 Posts

You can put a sensor in there from the top, into the existing tank.
As already said, tear it down and look, as non of our crystal balls are currently on line....

Martin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts