RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I do with TPMS?

I am sure they don't come with TPMS... is this mean that I have to take it to the tireshop and re-do it?

I am in the market for 22 inch Stormer, since my 20 stock is curbed and bent. but trying to figure it out to save as much $ as possible..

It end up comming that I owe another 25k to the tax this year... **** it!!! :doh:

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
First, make sure your RRS is fitted with TPMS. Most earlier MY06 RRS didn't have the system, it was introduced starting on late 2005 build dates.

If you have metal valve stems on your stock alloys you probably do have TPMS, after all. If so, you have 3 choices:

- Forget the sensors, mount regular valves on your new 22s and learn to live with the TPMS fault message on the dash - It's annoying but nothing bad will happen, unless you have a flat for real of course... Then you may regret being such a cheapo. :lol:
- Buy four new sensors from a dealer or an OEM parts supplier. Make sure they are compatible with your model year Sport (MY2010s use a different sensor than MY06-09s), they should cost about $60/ea, so you will be out 250 bucks give or take, less than 1% of what you owe the IRS. Bring the sensors to the tire shop that will mount the tires on your new rims and they will install them for you. The car will recognize the new sensors after a few miles of driving, as long as the aftermarket tires run at the same pressure as the stock setup nothing needs to be programmed or reset. You will then be able to switch between stock and aftermarket rims as you please.
- Transfer the sensors from your stock wheels onto the new rims if you don't plan on switching back to the stockers for a long time or will be selling them. A reputable tire shop can easily move all four sensors for a minimal charge (labor and a few bucks for a new set of valve gaskets.)

·
Registered
69 Posts
thats what i did. i had stock 19's on my 08 and had the TPMS sensors swapped at no extra cost to my matte black 22inch stormers. works just fine and i kept the 19's for when i hit the slopes. i'd rather jack up the 19's with weather and cables if i need them then to blemish the new kicks. i bought my stormer package off of ebay for 1500 cash and had them installed by the sellers cousins' tire shop in Glendale! obviously they're replicas but i haven't had any problems.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys,

I guess I will take the third option since my stockers are bent and curbed, I will just throw it away... unfortunately previous owner bought a new tire right before he sold it.. :snooty:

·
Registered
318 Posts
I transferred over my existing TPMS for my summer wheels and won't worry about it until November at which time I'll just spring for a 2nd set of sensors. That gives me two complete sets of wheels which I can change out myself in my garage.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool, but now I have to decide what tires I want..

I want something cheap and very quite and smooth....

Came from CLK55, I want smooth ride; I am so tired of rough and road noise....from my MB...

BTW, I really hope this upgrade will fix my minor vibration

·
Registered
318 Posts
baccocafe said:
Cool, but now I have to decide what tires I want..

I want something cheap and very quite and smooth....

Came from CLK55, I want smooth ride; I am so tired of rough and road noise....from my MB...

BTW, I really hope this upgrade will fix my minor vibration
I can speak for Hankook Ventus ST's, they are inexpensive and very good so far. My 285 35 22's were $791 mounted and balanced.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for the input,

that's pretty cheap for the size of tires.

I currently have same tire as you do on my 20's stockers...

I think it's good, but my wheels are busted, so I can't speak of comfort... cuz it vibrates :mrgreen:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts