RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While browsing around on the site here last night, I stumbled upon several threads pertaining to certain 'locked' features on US-spec Rovers (Lazy Locking, one-touch rear window up, etc). Figured I'd plug the ol' Nanocom in and give it a whirl. In Clarkson's words.... "How hard can it be?"

Was able to locate and change the appropriate settings in the BeCM. While trying to write the settings, a message appeared on the dash - "Market Not Set". I went back into the BeCM menu and noticed and somehow many of the settings, for some reason or another had gotten changed - almost like the vehicle had reverted to being some sort of 'base' ROW model (No sunroof, no trip computer, right-hand drive, GEMS injection, etc. etc). I went back in and manually changed the settings to reflect what my truck actually is/has. (I am not discounting the fact that I may have accidentally/inadvertently changed a setting or hit the wrong button here)

Went to start, and it would only crank over. Excellent - well at at least the lazy locking and one-touch windows work! :D:lol: Once again I have fixed something till it's broke. :shock:

After freaking out for a bit, and finally sitting down to think, I realized there were no alarm/key/immobilization messages on the dash. Good sign that I didn't lock myself out of the vehicle for the moment. So I slept on it. I remembered this morning that the PO had given me a Sync-Mate when I bought the truck last year. Thinking at this point that while trying to write the settings on the BeCM, I may have somehow disturbed its sync with the ECU. It seemed as though the key fob was making the handshake with the BeCM, but the BeCM was not making the handshake with the ECU. All of the other 'features' on the truck appeared to be working properly and there were no other warning messages popping up. I plugged in the Sync-Mate and let it do its thing. Boom - it starts! 8)

Enjoy a laugh at my expense, sorry for the novel - I'm not gonna mess with the BeCM settings for awhile :D

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
You aren't alone. When I first got my Nanocom I played with everything except the BeCM. I didn't even dare go in there in case I messed something up. It was working and I'd rather it stayed that way.

·
Registered
286 Posts
BlackSpeed66 next time you should read and save a copy of the original settings. Then you can do your mods and if you end up messing up, you can just load the original settings back and boom no headaches.

·
Registered
337 Posts
It's also possible you don't have the original BECM anymore, and that's why you get information what's doesn't match your vehicle.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Sometimes the connection can be iffy and the data gets corrupted which will give odd readings. On a UK car it often shows the market as France with manual gearbox and other odd things. The easy way to check is to try to change something and it won't change. Disconnect and reconnect and it will read the correct values.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm chalking it up to the fact that I probably hit something i shouldn't have on the Nanocom screen. Everything is still working as it should this week. I even noticed that the beeping with the key in the ignition and door open is less annoying! Shame that they 'locked down' the US models like that.

I'm happy I got the silly wipers to go half speed when stopped. Both of my e34s have this feature as standard and I didn't realize I missed it until I started driving the P38 in the rain!

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
just a hint, if you make changes in a BECM, take a photo with your phone, then save it to a file like Carlos Fulano p38.
if you use a standalone, write it in a little note file in your phone Samsung notes or whatever.
After that, you can play.
The EMS code you lost is in the GEMS Ecu under settings ot the diesel ECU.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts