RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Big shot in the dark here. But has anyone tried both the Scorpion Ice+Snow and the Grandtrek WT M3?

I'm coming due for some new shoes, and my Dunlops are great in the snow and all year round, but apparently a set of the Pirelli's are $150 cheaper. So I'm thinking...but then I change my mind...but now I'm back to being cheap again.

So I know Nupe has the Scorpion I+S, but he got stuck getting cookies last winter.
Now, I don't do cookie runs in a snowstorm (Nupe, sometimes you just have to say "no, get your own cookies, I'm playing Madden 2010").

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
Pshhhhh, Nupe was high centered. I love the I + S...I'm sure the Dunlops could be that much better, but for what the I + S do, I don't think you need more. :( Are you going to use them year round again?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had Scorpions on my 06 for 4 years in Vermont, living at 2000'.

The only time I had problems was when I got belly hung in VERY deep snow. That was not the tires fault. I forgot to get in Off Road or higher.

I always use Snow Terrain Response when conditions are poor.

They seemed to wear well, and handled the ice we get here too.

No experience with the 2010 yet.

Regards,

Michael

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I'll be using them year round. OK I think I might give the Scorpions a try, who knows maybe they'll be better and if not, I'll know who to blame. I'll have them on sometime in early Rocktober, report to follow.

That said, I have had a + experience with the Dunlops---quiet as a mouse, last 35K, and most importantly they give me street cred.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm curious about using the snow tires year round...aren't they a little too soft in the heat of the summer and mess up the handling of the vehicle? Also wouldn't you get more mileage out of the tires by using them only during the cold winter season?

·
Banned
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
890 Posts
Hey all

I run Nokian WR's in my 08 RRSSC 24/7, 44K on them already, and they are just down to 5/32. I'll be replacing them in Nov with the new Nokian WR G2's. Tires have been great wearing perfectly ( rotating front to back every 5k). They handle well, and good for 90+ in the rain, and have never gotten stuck in the snow in NH, or up in the white mountains. They also perform well on the cape off-roading on the dunes and beaches. I like these cause they are W rated, all-season, winter extreme rated, and I don't have to do the summer/winter tire swap game in fall or spring.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mwar99 said:
I'm curious about using the snow tires year round...aren't they a little too soft in the heat of the summer and mess up the handling of the vehicle? Also wouldn't you get more mileage out of the tires by using them only during the cold winter season?
Probably, no, yes.

1. I have found good snowtires last me about 30-35K when driven all year round. This is actually better than the OEM SuperContacts which are horrific in many ways.

2. The 0.0375g's I loose by running snowtires in the summer is not a big deal to me...and this is seat of the pants only, but the Dunlop snows I have now are at least better, and definitely no worse than the OEM Conti's in summer driving.

3. Since I travel up north almost every weekend, I used to have on snowtires 6 out of 12 months of the year (late Oct-April). So that meant I needed an extra set of wheels and tires for the summer---as taking tires on and off and rebalancing 2X/yr is a PITA. Add in the expense of the wheels and summer tires...and I'm fairly cheap, so I don't buy Nokians.

There you have it, twisted monkey logic. :D

·
Banned
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
890 Posts
Nokian WR and WR G2 tires are all-season/semi all terrain tires, that are " winter extreme " rated ( snow flake triangle ) You wouldn't have to do the summer/winter tire/winter swapping. I run them 24/7/365, just rotate them every 5K. They are also " w" rated speed rating . I travel from DC to Maine, and Live in NH, I've NEVER had a problem with tires, and I'm a VERY spirited driver, in all weather conditions with these tires on my RRSSC.

Way I see it.. 250/tire winter tires or 300+ for summer tires... Rather just pay for Nokian tires every year or every other year at $275-300 a tire and have peace of mind , not worrying when and how I'm going to play the winter/summer tire swapping game. Just knowing I can put the key in and go, without worrying about if I should or shouldn't go in whatever weather, With Nokians, there isn't a question in my mind in any weather, or any road , I just go.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Vinni,
I'll be trying the Pirelli's this go 'round. I will get them put on in late Oct and hopefully it will snow shortly therafter!

I'll post a seat of the pants comparo on them vs the Dunlops.

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
RoverfreakNH said:
Nokian WR and WR G2 tires are all-season/semi all terrain tires, that are " winter extreme " rated ( snow flake triangle ) You wouldn't have to do the summer/winter tire/winter swapping. I run them 24/7/365, just rotate them every 5K. They are also " w" rated speed rating . I travel from DC to Maine, and Live in NH, I've NEVER had a problem with tires, and I'm a VERY spirited driver, in all weather conditions with these tires on my RRSSC.

Way I see it.. 250/tire winter tires or 300+ for summer tires... Rather just pay for Nokian tires every year or every other year at $275-300 a tire and have peace of mind , not worrying when and how I'm going to play the winter/summer tire swapping game. Just knowing I can put the key in and go, without worrying about if I should or shouldn't go in whatever weather, With Nokians, there isn't a question in my mind in any weather, or any road , I just go.
I agree, had these tires down here in TX. Drove great, handling was nice and very quiet. In the Colorado snow in Brekenridge, the RRS stopped well. Did not have any issues stopping or picking up on slick surfaces. These are W rated for snow, but all-season. The Swedes do know how to make a nice tire, too bad about the cars (Saabs)

·
Registered
543 Posts
Dudes.

I was hoping to see an old school "magic stick" pop a set of those paddle tyres I remember him suggesting to one of our fellow forum members-imagine sighting a RRS mounted with competition rubber of icelandic proportions running Methanol/NOS ?

I did think GooseyLoosey if it was before your time, whether you remember those Armstrong Norseman Tred-loc Radials which faded out during possibly your Electric Light Orchestra days as they were a superior tyre for Ice + Snow before Dick Cepeks.

Cheerio,

Vinniman
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iUMWy4hqAg

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Vinni,

What the ?....

Man, I missed you!

G'day

·
Registered
543 Posts
Aahh - Journey to the West.

Famous Chinese folk lore tale as represented in a previously attached Youtube clip which may have been available Stateside and consisted of the main character "Monkey Magic" the shows title - as per your Japanese first cousin's bro' Goosey Loosey ?

The Armstrong tire company was bought by Pirelli tyres S.p.a. in 1989 who promptly discontinued their 'Norseman' range and then Dick Cepek bought the mouldings and fashioned his famous All-Terrain pattern on a similar but different tread styling !

Hope this fabled answer(PM master EEE for engrish translation above) is to your satisfaction & it should provide you with months of entertainment in my absence whilst I'm overseas for a new stint of 18 months/2 years starting late November 2010.

Cheerio,

Vinniman
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.
[attachment=0:qdd5ttdp]Monkey.jpg[/attachment:qdd5ttdp]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I've had the 19" Pirelli Ice and Snows on now for about 1 month. No snow yet round these parts, but I've logged about 1000 miles on them in the dry and wet.

My impression so far is the Pirelli's ride about the same as the Dunlops and handle about the same as the Dunlops in the dry and wet. But I have noticed the Pirelli's start to sing above 80mph. At around 90mph they are in full protest, letting you know they are a snow tire. The Dunlops did not do this. I'm not a big fan of tickets and points and such so I'm not up there very much...but I'd rather not listen to them when I do. So in the dry, the Dunlops have the edge so far.

We'll see when the snow flies.

I have renamed them the Pirelli Nice and Slow's.

·
Registered
93 Posts
We had some good snow and pretty icy roads a couple weeks ago in the Seattle area. I got 20" Blizzak DM-V1's on my RRS, and my folks got the Pirelli's on their XC90. Driving both vehicles on the same roads at the same the tires seemed to perform pretty much the same. The Pirelli's got traction where I got traction and I slipped in the same places the Pirelli's slipped. So, bottom line is I don't think you can do much better than the Pirelli in the ice and snow, short of studs or chains. Also, the Pirelli's handled way better than the Blizzak's on the dry/wet. I didn't notice any difference from the stock Pirelli all-seasons they had on previously. The Blizzak's are very noticeably squirmy and disconcerting when cornering sharp.

I had Nokian WR's on an old Audi. They were great in the rain and slush, decent on snow, but they were much too slippery on ice.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Agreed. Having had a pair on another vehicle, I believe the Blizzaks are solid snowtires but shouldn't be confused for a performance oriented snowtire. IMO the Pirelli Nice and Slows and the Dunlops are in a different league, but assuming the snow performance is equivalent, I give the dry performance edge to the Dunlops so far--just 'cause of the noise at high speeds.

·
Administrator
27,820 Posts
gooseyloosey said:
I have noticed the Pirelli's start to sing above 80mph. At around 90mph they are in full protest
:lol: I have had a few passenger's "sing" at those speeds.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts