RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Winter is coming up here in Canada. I recently purchased a 2010 Range Rover Sport HSE LUX. I plan on putting snow tires on it for the winter as we get quite a bit of snow and ice. I drove my last SUV with all-seasons and although pulling away from a stop was never a problem stopping was. I managed to pick up a set of 19" Rims on eBay shown here;
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... SI:CA:1123

My question is which snow tires are the best on the RR Sport for deep snow and ice? What size would be best? If I skip the TPM's aside from the Tire Pressure light coming on? Is there also an alarm associated with no TPM's?

Thanks very much

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
Have you looked at the Nokian tires (WRG2 SUV or WR SUV). These are all season and they handle great in the snow and w-rated. I had no problem driving the WR-SUV in Colorado during the winter months, the pick up on the snow and stopping was really good due to the deep siping that grips ice and snow traction..You can leave them on your vehicle all year round up in Canada since the roads don't heat up like here in TX causing them to wear out much faster.

http://www.nokiantires.com/tyre?id=1195 ... WRG2%20SUV
http://www.nokiantires.com/tyre?id=1188 ... 20WR%20SUV

They do come in the 19" size that is same as the OEM's. Not sure what bells will go off on a 2010 when no TPMS is installed on the wheels - just here to sell you on nokian tires :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could someone please confirm with me that these 19's will fit a 2010 RR Sport Lux? The bolt pattern is correct. From what I have read the offset is correct for the 2009 and 2010 Sport. Just want to make sure these wheels will fit over the brakes since the oem wheels that came on my Sport are 20's. I just have the HSE LUX and not the SC which I understand only can use 20's.

Thanks in Advance.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
Yes, they will fit (however, those particular 15-spoke 19" OEM rims will not fit over the front Brembo brakes of either 2006-09 or 2010+ Supercharged models.) There is no difference in brakes between a 2010 HSE with Luxury package versus one without, your car came with 20s only because the LUX package includes them as a cosmetic "upgrade" over the standard non-LUX 19s, not because you need the larger rims to clear your calipers.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Excellent. Just what I wanted to hear. Thank-you very much. What happens if I skip the TPM's? I know a light will stay on but is there an audible alert that will go on?

·
Registered
34 Posts
As per tires, I would recommend blizzak's. I've ran them on many vehicles for winters and loved them. I live in Edmonton Alberta so we get descent amount of snow here. You can check out Costco as they have them for a real descent price. As for the tmps.. Sorry can't help you there.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
If the 2010 operates like the 2006-2009 TPMS system, you will probably get a chime at ignition startup, a permanent amber TPMS fault light in the instrument cluster and a "TPMS system fault" message in the info center, since the system is unable to read any of the four missing wheel sensors.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Just a note, if you are sitting on the fence getting new tires, many of the major tire companies (Pirelli, Cooper, Toyo, etc.) are putting through a ~7% price increase effective November 1.

·
Registered
117 Posts
umbertob said:
Yes, they will fit (however, those particular 15-spoke 19" OEM rims will not fit over the front Brembo brakes of either 2006-09 or 2010+ Supercharged models.) There is no difference in brakes between a 2010 HSE with Luxury package versus one without, your car came with 20s only because the LUX package includes them as a cosmetic "upgrade" over the standard non-LUX 19s, not because you need the larger rims to clear your calipers.
Yes there are a lot more tire models in 19inch than 20 inch because of those **** brakes. I really hope Land Rover keeps the 19's forever and does something about the problem with 20inch tires selection and lack of sidewall that is inherent with that.

Be careful about using Stock RR's off road with 20 inch tires, it would be best to modify one.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Just picked up a set of Pirelli Scorpion Ice + Snow. I've heard they're a great tire. I was also looking at Nokian Hukkasomething or other which look to be pretty good as well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dealership was pushing hard on the Scorpion ice. I decided to go with the hakkapeliitta R's. From everything I read the Hakka's are suppose to be better suited for the type of conditions we have here in Winterpeg. Figured the Finnish deal with more snow than the Italians, lol....

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover MkIII / L322
54 Posts
Maybe they are pushing the Pirelli's so they can see you again next year. I got 15,000 out of mine on my LR2. That was over one winter and one summer. Trying Kumho's now.

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
4th winter coming up with my Pirelli Ice & Snows. Great all around snow tire (I'm sure there are better out there for sheer grip, but I have had no complaints in the traction area); driving in warmer temps will lead to them wearing out faster as the rubber compound is designed to be soft at cold temps.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts