RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i had my 2010 SC in the NYC area storm today. I just had new blizzaks out on and im pretty disappointed with the overall performance/stability of the car. With full snows like blizzaks its very twitchy and unpredictable. I also drove my lr4 which has nokain WR3 (not hakkas) and it was much more stable, predictable, and agile. Are the full body RR just not that great in the snow/ice? cant blame the tires i dont think. Curious what others think.

·
Registered
631 Posts
It's the tires.

I've been running Nitto Terra Grapplers year round in Ontario winters, and they are "ok" in the winter but not as good as Yokohama W Drive winter tires I had before.

I'm going to get some Nokians for sure.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
U gonna go with hakkas? Or the WR? I used pirelli snows previously and I thought the mediocre performance was attributable to those tires. Now both blizzak and hakkas come in the 20 inch size. I just drove my extended escalade which has new Michelin ltx and that felt much better than my RR. Is the RR just not that great of a performer in the snow?

Sent from my BBB100-3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
687 Posts
I had blizzaks on mine before, while they were okay they really lacked on ice. I just bought a set of hakkapeliitta 9 SUV STUDDED for this winter, and they make a MASSIVE difference. i would highly recommend those.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks. we arent able to use studded but i really wish i had gone with the non studded hakkas. i expected the lr4+W3s to be solid but im really surprised ad the escalade+ LTX!non studded

·
Registered
631 Posts
Read some tests of studded tires. They're only better on ice.

The same tire with studs vs non studded, the one without studs will stop and handle better in all situations except on ice.

·
Registered
687 Posts
That's exactly why i bought the studded version, anytime i see people get into an accident is because of ICE.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,947 Posts
OP did you change the traction drive selector to snow?
I have the G2 nittos and they work well,
their is also a big difference in performance after changing the drive selector to snow setting

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did. No difference at all.

And just as a point of reference. I have an e36 m3 with hakkas that is amazing in the snow and in the past I used a e55 amg with nokians as my winter beater and it too was an animal!

I think I'm gonna ditch the blizzak and get hakkas

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
Yup, tyres. Blizzaks have excellent tread pattern, but the rubber is too hard for seriously cold weather. Given the current and upcoming weather in your area you are goinna want to be extra careful with hard tyres. L322s are incredible on compact snow and ice with proper soft winter tyres yet still very forgiving with general Grapplers. The northern passes around here are always questionably maintained but i have never been stopped by the Staters and never so much as slipped even in the worst conditions. I remember I was the next to last person to be let through during a pass closure. I pulled out two Jeeps and one Chevy K5 trooper going over the pass that trip. The trooper just shook his head at my dragging him off he bank with no effort. About two hours later he bought my lunch and coffee in Winthrop. :thumb:

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yup, tyres. Blizzaks have excellent tread pattern, but the rubber is too hard for seriously cold weather. Given the current and upcoming weather in your area you are goinna want to be extra careful with hard tyres. L322s are incredible on compact snow and ice with proper soft winter tyres yet still very forgiving with general Grapplers. The northern passes around here are always questionably maintained but i have never been stopped by the Staters and never so much as slipped even in the worst conditions. I remember I was the next to last person to be let through during a pass closure. I pulled out two Jeeps and one Chevy K5 trooper going over the pass that trip. The trooper just shook his head at my dragging him off he bank with no effort. About two hours later he bought my lunch and coffee in Winthrop. :thumb:
Up until this year I don't remember the hakkas being available for the SC in 20 inch. I figured the blizzak wld be better than the pirelli and after I had them installed I noticed the hakkas were available and wanted to scream!

·
Registered
631 Posts
I was going to pick up Nokian R2 SUV. I read some good tests of them vs every other brands best snow tire, and they won.

My Terra Grapplers G2's aren't the worst, I mean they're better than an all-season in the winter. But they aren't a true winter tire.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
24 Posts
I went over a hill pass yesterday on snow and sheet ice. Being an older L322 I don't have anything other than descent control, but I was very impressed with the control and traction, despite the new tyres I just put on being Pirelli All Season rather than snow/winter specials. You do feel the weight of the vehicle on anything icy and sloping. I wouldn't keep pace with a Subaru AWD on decent snow tyres.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Funny you say that. My other vehicle is an 02 Subaru WRX. It's pretty good in the snow, but I definitely prefer the L322. Higher up, better visibility in snow storms, and it doesn't get pulled around by the slush and snow ruts/tracks on the road. I prefer the heavier vehicle for sure.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
my RR seems to be pissed off that i left it outside over night. the front suspension is staying in the lowered position and the stereo wont automatically shut off when i exit the car and shut the drivers door. the brakes are noisy as all hell. maybe this thing is on the way out, wld be sad with only 72k miles.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
17 Posts
If your talking about L322 supercharged not turning at an icy intersection or going through an unplowed street jumping around I experience the same. My wife has base LR3 and we also have a dodge pickup here, both drive straight on unplowed roads and turn no problem at icey intersection, the L322 all over on unplowed road nomatter which tires and sometimes it just wont turn. I don't know if its the locking diff or maybe the full size has different alignment values causing this. I know I'm constantly changing tyres on my wifes LR3 but seems the L322 never needs tyres. I'm planning on getting it on alignment rack in next two weeks just to check. For that matter, the supercharged may have its own specific alignment values, i will compare the specs to the LR3. It is disappointing and actually scary when navigating tight streets.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
24 Posts
I drive numerous different AWD/4X4s over the course of the year, and have to say the L322 seems very capable on these Pirelli Verde tyres in a 255/60 19 size. Quite impressive. The offset is slightly different, thanks to me fitting 2017 Discovery wheels. Very pleased so far.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3 Posts
I also live in NYC and have a 2009 HSE (full size) I recently put on Copper Zeon LTZ 255/55/19 and could not be more happier.. It may not be the best tire for deep snow but they have worked out well for driving around the tri state area forme thus far.. Good luck...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts