RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a RR classic that used to give me good mileage but i used to use it almost on a Daily basis to the forest for logging or the occassional hunting season.

after many stalls in very deep murky, muddy <Kenyan:wink:> i decided to install a snorkel which i custom built with a 6" pipe. this was great as not only could i drive through any river but my fuel mileage considerably increased too.

when i got my P38 the first thing i asked my local dealer is send me a snorkel as i wanted to use the 4.6 to go as we call it here "bundu bashing".

a few days later i get a call that the snorkel can be supplied but its not recommended as per advise from very technically expirienced fellow in the uk.

the explanation was that a snorkel on the P38 4.6 is actually a failiure.

My question.

why is this so??

also noticed is that of all the vehicles i have seen no P38 has a snorkel on it.

i have read about driving slowly through water to create a vaccum and it shall be fine but i would rather go about with my trusted classic due to the snorkel.

R

·
0 Posts
Do you have more pics of the snorkel on your P38, allso form the engine bay? what defendersnorkel is it, what did you have to modify etc etc

I guess the problem is that as far as I know there are no decent snorkels made for the P38, lately there is a polish firm that sells them on ebay, but that one looks like ****..... So people make reasons up why it would not work.... the 4.0 in the D2 can be used with a snorkel I guess that is not much different to the same engine in a P38, the 600cc extra won't matter (and in the US the D2 does have the 4,6 too and those are driven wih snorkels too

·
Banned
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
3,952 Posts
I think the main problem with a P38 is that before the water gets deep enough to need a snorkel, the BeCM will be under water. Game over......

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
I think the main problem with a P38 is that before the water gets deep enough to need a snorkel, the BeCM will be under water. Game over......
The good thing about a P38a is that the door seals actually do seal, so water doesn't (immediately) get into the interior. ;-)
I have a home-built snorkel on mine, based on a Southdown snorkel for a Classic. I did move the airfilter to where the cruisecontrol and charcoal cannister was (GEMS, Bosch would be harder because of the ECU in the same corner). I had water over the bonnet when searching for an exit during a river crossing in Russia, no problems whatsoever. It is important that the ignition system is up to spec, to make sure the water in the engine bay doesn't cause a misfire.

Filip

R

·
0 Posts
there are more reasons to want a snorkel than deep water crossings...

air out of the frontwing with modified innerwings causes the airfilter to get soaked when driving on very wet streets. another use for a snorkel is taking air from a higher point so less dust is sucked in

·
Registered
282 Posts
I'm working on a snorkel at the moment for my 4.6 HSE Gems for water wading not just dust
I've bought an inner wing off a scrap shell so its easier to work the route without stripping the car I'm using (when it works:neutral:)

I'm assuming the door seals actually work so the BeCM is going to survive - I'm also assuming there are no other water entry points or I'll be waving goodbye to the HEVAC, which is very low compared to air intake (optimism is a natural requirement of P38 ownership)

Things I've come across so far..
The air suspension box is only slightly higher than the air intake - EAS inlet, exhaust, the driver pack and the ambient reference pipe all need dealing with
Axle breathers and transmission breathers all need piping in
The breather on the XYZ switch needs addressing
There's a plethora of engine management plugs that are not exactly waterproof
The viscous will need binning and replacing with an electric unit which can be turned off

...and that's not taking into consideration there's jack all room to do an internal one (personal preference only, but I dont like externals as then its the widest point on the car, which it shouldn't be) and the route from the engine bay to the screen pillar is "challenging"

However, I shall not be beaten, more measuring, planning and beer will no doubt see a solution

I have this clever (?) idea of routing the inlet over the EAS pump, thereby creating a natural cooler for the over stressed pump - it will involve fabricating a new EAS box with an inlet and outlet for the snorkel (and the pump exposed to the inlet tract) and a seperation element so the driver and valve block can be in a waterproof shell - this is currently in an experimental stage so we'll see if it's genius or plain daft in good time.

It's not as simple as a Classic, but there's the fun - simple is boring :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Take a look at Lucky 8's P38 project. It's got big tires, a working snorkel and everything. And the guy waterproofed some computer pc boards so they don't short if they get wet - he has a video showing it works in a pan of water. Here is the link:
http://landroverforums.com/forum/range-rover-19/lucky-8%92s-project-p38-54570/
He has very good documentation on all the mods he has made to his truck. It's a pro rig.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts