RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i was replacing my t-stat yesterday and while pulling it off i snapped the lower bolt... the upside is its sticking out about a 1/2 inch the down side is it wont move at all i went at it with vice grips for two hours.... i soaked it in wd40 and PB spray and still nothing.... im out of options lol i dont wanna go the easy out route because i tried that when i snapped a water pump bolt and broke the easy out off in the bolt.... im thinking maybe heating it with a torch but i dont know if that will cause damage... any ideas???

·
Registered
106 Posts
Mod I was reading this the other day regarding exhaust (not intake) manifold bolts (which can be very rusty) http://mypage.direct.ca/k/kdomries/tricks.html I'd hold off on the torch until you run out of other options, the trick of picking away around the bolt (and patience) may work out well for you. Also perhaps the trick of tightening first a bit if possible and then loosening could help. I generally use liquid wrench but PB is supposed to be excellent. If you go with the torch just be careful to heat only the bolt.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
84 Posts
With the head of the bolt missing, you can easily hit the remains of the bolt with a hammer.
Don't strike it too hard to create more problems, the ideas is to knock some corrosion off the threads.
Use your vise-grips again, and keep using the spray lube too. Turn the vise-grips left and right to see if it moves.
If it doesn't, smack it again with the hammer.
Repeat till the bolt spins off freely.

I recently went through this on a VW Phaeton water pump bolt. The method above worked great and it was able to button up the car in no time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts