RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Please can someone tell me how to correct what I believe is an anomally,My 1996 4.0 S.E rangie is smoking like crazy, and consumes fuel like a thirsty man in the desert.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
I'd suspect oxygen sensors but it could be a bad or dirty MAF. Testbook it?

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Hi

Smoking is caused by over fueling. As mentioned by 996turbo the sensors that influence the fueling are the MAF and oxygen sensors. It can also be a faulty fuel injector that leaks.
Check your spark plugs and if one or two are full of soot suspect injector problems.

If you connect to the diagnostic computer you can monitor what signals are send from the sensors to the ECU and based on that identify what could be wrong.

Regards

Jos

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks folks will try it out, unfortunately dont have textbooks or other diagnostic tools, so will carry out a trial and error method to determine the problem.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
You're forgetting one thing: reset of adaptive values of the ECM in order to take into account the changes (cleaning of the MAF, replacement of Oxygen sensors) you've done.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess i will need a textbook or some other diagnostic tool to do the reset?This is serious wahala

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi, id like to ask you guys something.

Talking about adaptive values, is the reset only possible using testbook or similar?
Someones says yes , someone says no,
is Disconnecting the battery an option?
Best regards from. Mexico

PD. where i live, rovacom or testbook is only a dream.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
Short term trims can be resetted with the battery but long term trims (the most important IMHO) can only be resetted with a Testbook.
You need to contact Colin (BBSpy) and ask him if he has project to make a quick adaptive values resetter like his BECM Synch Mate.
Or you could buy yourself a Faultmate from him.
Or you could invite a member that has a testbook ;)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks!!!!
Mexico its a great place for offroading too!!!!
Everyone its invited.

Im going to take a look to the prices a BBS, maybe there is an affordable product.!!! I just need to reset the adaptive values (for now) i think i can get better mileage doing it. I have had my truck for so many years, imagine 1995 4.0 range rover its really impressive how good it is , but the fuel consumption its too high. i remember it used to be more economical, it doesn´t show any fault codes, its tuned up , so..........please .... give me ideas. 11.3 mpg average.

Thanks again,
Best regards!!!

·
Registered
865 Posts
dimitriaudio said:
Thanks!!!!
Mexico its a great place for offroading too!!!!
Everyone its invited.

Im going to take a look to the prices a BBS, maybe there is an affordable product.!!! I just need to reset the adaptive values (for now) i think i can get better mileage doing it. I have had my truck for so many years, imagine 1995 4.0 range rover its really impressive how good it is , but the fuel consumption its too high. i remember it used to be more economical, it doesn´t show any fault codes, its tuned up , so..........please .... give me ideas. 11.3 mpg average.

Thanks again,
Best regards!!!

When was the last time HT leads were replaced, are you using the correct spark plugs etc and how about that fuel filter
A good quality 15W40 engine oil will chase away any potential valve jamming issue if used some time ago
Exhasust blocked, so many things, so little time..

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ok , i will try changing the ht leads, spark plugs, fuel filter, and oil change , can someone help me with the part number or model of the correct spark plugs? I think a have been running with the wrong ones for several years.

For 4.0 1995 Rangie

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey, 996Turbo Happy new year.

What is a small term trim and a Long term trim.
What is a HT leads.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
Edable said:
Hey, 996Turbo Happy new year.

What is a small term trim and a Long term trim.
What is a HT leads.
I'm not an expert of that matter so please apologize if i shortened the explanation.

Short term trim is the setting that has been learned by your ECM during hundred of kilometers and that relies on oxygen sensors and MAF.
Long term trim is the setting that has been learned by your ECM during thousands of kilometers in order to take into account wear of your engine.

HT leads are the cables that goes to the spark plug.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Turbo,

but one more question where does Changing or cleaning the MAF stand the short tewrm or the long term.
What is IMHO

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
Edable said:
Thanks Turbo,

but one more question where does Changing or cleaning the MAF stand the short tewrm or the long term.
What is IMHO
A dirty/different MAF will give sublty different inputs to the ECM, for the same actual airflow. I.e. cleaning/changing your MAF causes the maths the ECM does to be incorrect. Resetting the 'adaptive values' allws the ECM to 'start again' and re-learn all of the adaptive settings, which can be useful after changing/cleaning engine sensors.

IMHO = In My Humble Opinion

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Paul,

Just hope one of this days I will get a tool to reset the adaptive values.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts