RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
MY daughter's RR (08, v8, sc, 140K miles) suddenly started smoking like crazy, lost power completely and she just barely got it back home. At first she thought she had blown a head gasket. I pulled the plugs and they looked very fouled with oil, in particular the rear two (#7 and #8 were completely fouled to the point that they must have been non-functioning) .

Did a compression check and got what I thought were really high values, all readings in psig (comment: Aluminum engine heads so I didn't warm up the engine ):
#7- 198 #8- 200
#5- 216
#6- 200

#3- 197
#4- 200

#1- 190
#2- 185

After investigating (and reading several threads here and in other RR forums) we decided that maybe the PCV had failed. We put some new plugs in (just cheap ones to get her running again) and cranked her up. She ran pretty well. However I could still hear a sucking noise from that PCV. My daughter ordered a new one, but I went to a junkyard nearby and pulled one off a Jaguar and slapped it on. I ended up opening the air filter box and pulled that filter out and WOW. When I dropped it on a table it was like opening a vacuum cleaner bag . I think the filter was just so full & clogged that the engine was desperately sucking air in from any place it could, maybe even causing the PCV valve membrane to fail. With a new K&N air filter installed, she runs like a top now. We still have to put good plugs in sometime and we'll keep that PCV valve my daughter ordered for future use. But the car is running fine again. What I envisioned as a $4k job turned out to be about $100 in routine maintenance.

Lesson learned: Change your air filter , especially on a super charged engine .

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
12 Posts
@(mylife1903) So my car is a FFRR 2007 L322 SC and I have alot of smoke from my car atm. I had it serviced 6 months ago with new spark plugs and air filters etc etc. Although she still smokes. :-( Next week I am replacing the sparkplugs with LPG NGK Iridium plugs in case my Prins vsi 2.0 LPGconversion is anything to do with the smoke. Fingers crossed. I was told not to use a K&N filter as the engineers at Land ROver picked a standard air filter for a reason. I dont know whether to try a K&N or not.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,950 Posts
stick with the factory filter it will keep the sand out of the cylinders. KnN is market hype,
you generally wont see the damage you do from putting in a screen to filter fine particulate.

If the BMW engine is smoking than the chances are good the PVC plate has failed and intake refresh should be performed,k
do keep driving like this as you will foul the cats

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
@(mylife1903) So my car is a FFRR 2007 L322 SC and I have alot of smoke from my car atm. I had it serviced 6 months ago with new spark plugs and air filters etc etc. Although she still smokes. :-( Next week I am replacing the sparkplugs with LPG NGK Iridium plugs in case my Prins vsi 2.0 LPGconversion is anything to do with the smoke. Fingers crossed. I was told not to use a K&N filter as the engineers at Land ROver picked a standard air filter for a reason. I dont know whether to try a K&N or not.
I run a K&N only in the summer, you will get more power. I run the standard air filter in the winter given the salted/sanded roads around here. K&N is fine if it's oiled up properly but really the safest bet is the standard unit.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Smoke in this 4.2 engine comes from pcv mostly.
If engine runs smooth didn’t lost power mostly cause of smoke is pcv system.
Some russian guys clean pcv system on this engine every 50.000km
new pcv th cleaning and valve covers are need to be cleaned. We have very dirty gas and the quality of oil and gas are awful
use air filter for taureg and save money

·
Registered
12 Posts
@brad @my life @Merlin Thank You so much for that advice. I have now purchased a new pcv genuine unit and will check all hoses associated. So now for the white smoke issue I will be...
1. Changing rocker cover gasket.
2. Changing to LPG NGK Iridium spark plugs.
3. Changing PCV unit and associated hoses.
4. Not changing to a K&N air filter. I will stay standard. I don't need more power and winter is coming with probably salty roads.
Thanks all I will update when all tasks have completed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
5. I will check the cats
6. Clean valve covers
7. Do a compression test
For reference this is the Jaguar engine. Thanks again all i will post results soon. Top advice ?

·
Registered
615 Posts
I dont have cats we dont have a limit for engines. I removed the cats. After that i have just a little bit more vapor from exhaust
do the compression test first. On jag engine we have problems mostly on 7th and 8th cylinders due to cooling issues.
I have to much friends lost compression on 8th cylinder me either.

Some friends did just head job on one head. One friend did a little head job just on 8th cylinder, removed the head and replaced valves on 8th cylinder.
I did head job and timing job more expensive but certain job.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I dont have cats we dont have a limit for engines. I removed the cats. After that i have just a little bit more vapor from exhaust
do the compression test first. On jag engine we have problems mostly on 7th and 8th cylinders due to cooling issues.
I have to much friends lost compression on 8th cylinder me either.

Some friends did just head job on one head. One friend did a little head job just on 8th cylinder, removed the head and replaced valves on 8th cylinder.
I did head job and timing job more expensive but certain job.
Hi mylife1903 thanks for that I will update as soon as complete.

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
Folks, Stick to proper paper air filters. They are inexpensive and to much better job of stopping particulates from getting sucked into the intake. K&N filters are high maintenance and in 4 wheel dyno testing only added 1-2 HP. Is 2 HP really worth the cleaning and reoiling labour?

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
688 Posts
I could swear I read somewhere that in a lab test, it was calculated that over time the K&N filter allowed up to 14 pounds of dirt to pass thru over a 100k mile lifetime.
I’ve had K&N in the past but switched back. It’s not worth it to me.
Plus the potential for over piling can lead to MAF fouling.

Sent from my iPhone X

1 - 12 of 12 Posts