RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have a 2011 RRS GT Limited HSE V8, the other day my Fiance' drove home and when she pulled up to the driveway i could smell a burning of what smelled like rubber, not oil or fluids. after she parked it, i popped the hood and light smoke was coming out pretty steadily for about 20 minutes from the front left side of the engine bay, could not see where it was coming from directly though. I let it sit for awhile after ensuring nothing was going to catch on fire, the key was upstairs and the power was off but the little LED lights on the headlights started blinking and then i saw the lights inside blinking too, the car was unresponsive then all power went out and now it is totally dead.

Anyone know what might be happening? I assume something with the alternator and now it is dead in the garage, any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
326 Posts
First check the battery voltage .... front left as you face it could be alternator - but if that was the only thing that fried - it shouldn’t prevent you from starting the car if battery is still good

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good guess, it ended up being the alternator, which fried the battery and both needed replacement.

·
Registered
18 Posts
i just had the same
shop give me 1300 for alternator and charged me 600 for battery replacement :(
i found someone who would do 500 include labor for alternator

·
Registered
326 Posts
Bosch battery is ~$200 at pep boys with free install and alternator about the same and it should not be more than an hour labor to install

·
Registered
326 Posts
I had alternator (diodes) fail and got denso (oem) reman and installed - that also failed after about a year - the pep boys rebuild
One is still working fine after 2 years ....

·
Registered
210 Posts
Bosch battery is ~$200 at pep boys with free install and alternator about the same and it should not be more than an hour labor to install
Pardon me for jumping forums 😂 full disclosure I own 3 L322s but not an L320 at the moment.

Bosch isn't horribly popular here in the states but I have 2 group 49 AGMs in 2 different Rovers without issue and they offer a 4 year straight exchange warranty without proration.

Its a long story but they've even swapped out a perfectly good battery at the 3 year mark just for poops and laughs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
4 Participants
datafoo
RangeRovers.net Forum
We’re a community forum to discuss and assist on issues with every Range Rover model. Sign up if you have a question, answer or to meet like minded individuals
Full Forum Listing