RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I have a 1998 4.6. I was attempting to get the car registered and a moving permit here in NV, but I am having issues passing the smog check. I took it to a smog place who said that I had a previous pass on file, when we reran it, it failed with a P1313 code (related to gas in the catalytic converter?) and a misfire on cyl 3. I took it up to my local shop, who usually does a good job, and they were unable to get readings from either of their computers, and were unable to get any codes or data from the vehicle. I attempted to get a moving permit in order to deal with these issues until I could get it completely registered, but now they are saying that there is a flag on the the vehicle and that it needs to come in to the emissions lab for testing. They say the reason for that is that it's been reported that all of the emissions monitors were disabled, or not reporting with the last scan. I have spoken to a few mechanics, and have gotten some wildly different advice from each. Does anyone have any idea why the emission monitors would be failing or not reporting any information, and is it typical that the RR codes are difficult to read, or is it possible I have a bad ODB port or something? I find it strange that they wouldn't be able to read the emissions computers, but were able to still get the misfire and p1313 codes off the vehicle at the smog station. Is there something I can order to do this computer stuff myself, or is it a job best left to the dealership? Does anyone have experience restoring the emissions computers themselves?

If anyone has any input or advice it would mean alot to me, I am considering taking the vehicle up to the emissions lab, and the range rover dealership, but they have so far been pretty aloof about getting back to me, and towing the vehicle across the city is going to be very costly. Thanks

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
obd2 codes can be read with a generic store bought scanner, it is part of global emissions control mandate. as per any vehicle brand it is always advisable to find a dealer or brand oriented specialty shop for better diagnosis as they will have factory level
and in-depth diagnosis equipment.
that being said, every time the codes are reset, every time the battery is disconnected, the ecu memory is reset thus the monitors will need to set them selves.
monitors are just sensors and sensors are switches (basically) these are turned on and off as needed by the ecu, their operation is stored in volatile memory and it is overwritten at every start and running cycle. some are known as soft codes meaning they clear themselves after the fault has been corrected i/E loose fuel cap. others are known as hard codes I/E multiple misfires, which need to be cleared after the misfire issue has been corrected.
there is lots of info if you're into learning about how to tackle and solve your concern, it is time consuming but in the end you have lots learned lots of details about the inner workings of the system.
the other option is as mentioned above, dealer or land rover specialty shop.
1313 is catalyst damaging misfire, does not point to a single cylinder. could just be as simple as a bad fuel filter blocking fuel flow and pressure thus a misfire due to lean condition, possible a wire and spark plug change. beyond that and it can begin to get complicated.
search land rover OBD2 monitors, locate the RAVE and read up on it. these two should give you an idea of how OBD2 works.
best of luck and happy new year.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts